offline folder cease to work RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have a home share on a Windows 2003 Server, a Windows 7 RTM laptop joined to the domain.

I made the home share available as a offline folder in Windows 7. Since a few days this home share refuse to go online. When I right click the folder, go to properties, offline files, it says "This folder is offline because of a user chose to work offline".

No idea what happened and it really doesn't sychronize. I have another network folder on the same Windows Server, which synchronize fine.

Any idea how I can switch this folder online?

Thanks
    Edy

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure that you have enough permissions on the offline folder and network connection path. Let's right click the home share folder==>point to Sync==>click Sync selected offline files to manually synchronize the offline folder to see how it behaviors. If the issue persists, there may be due to corrupted CSC cache. If it is the case, let's try to reinitialize the offline folder cache in Windows 7. To do this, please refer to the following steps:

1. Type: regedit in the Start search box and hint Enter.
    2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc\Parameters 

Note : if the Parameters subkey does not exist, create it.  To do this, follow these steps:

1) Click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc

2) On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    3) Type Parameters, and then press ENTER.

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    4. Type FormatDatabase, and then press ENTER.
    5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    6. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    7. Exit Registry Editor.
    8. Restart the computer.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:04 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please make sure that you have enough permissions on the offline folder and network connection path. Let's right click the home share folder==>point to Sync==>click Sync selected offline files to manually synchronize the offline folder to see how it behaviors. If the issue persists, there may be due to corrupted CSC cache. If it is the case, let's try to reinitialize the offline folder cache in Windows 7. To do this, please refer to the following steps:

Note : if the Parameters subkey does not exist, create it.  To do this, follow these steps:

7. Exit Registry Editor.
    8. Restart the computer.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:04 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

7. Exit Registry Editor.
    8. Restart the computer.

Best Regards
    Dale

I had a Offline Folder \\servername\offline folder showing and it no longer existed in Windows 7. This solution works! Entered in new DWORD and value, restarted the PC and the offline folder was gone.  The bad thing I could find this solution as quickly as I wanted. It several days to find a solution that works.  Prehaps a good knowledge base keyword would be: Remove Offline Folders Windows 7.  
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:02 AM
  • I agree that this needs to have a better listing and keyword on the knowledge base. I also had a difficult time finding a solution to the "Always Offline" missing and now this fix appears to have resolved my problems.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Thanks Dale, it is working for me, should have know couple of weeks ago, life could have been easy. 
    • Proposed as answer by ksatishnlg Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:47 PM
    • Edited by ksatishnlg Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:47 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Hi Dale

I have a NAS connected to my network. I wanted to remove files from the CSC folder on my Win7 Ultimate set up too. Mainly because AVG was picking up a virus in the CSC folder which could never be deleted.

Anyway, I followed the instructions you provided.

I rebooted the PC but it came up with the blue screen (BSOD). To resolve I put my installation CD in and went to a restore point. Chose one from earlier today (AVG install) and thought it would be okay. The restore was successful but I'm still getting the blue screen in normal start up.

I get 'RDR_File_System'

then reboots to

'Page Fault'

and then

'Bad Pool Header'

on the blue pages.

Any ideas what I can do here? I'm okay getting in with safe mode. I've also gone into registry and the entry I created is no longer there.

Thanks for your time.

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:57 PM
  • I have seen posts where it says that the dword has to be for 32 bit not 64 bit or the machine will blue screen.

I have only done it as a 32 bit dword.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:21 PM