none
How to Add SPI/CPI view in project professional 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently started working with Microsoft Project Professional 2010 and PWA and have no idea as how to configure the project professional to get the SPI/CPI values populate .

Can anyone please help me out here.

Thanks. 

Regards, Anurag

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Anurag, the CPI and SPI are data driven - what you have to do is provide the data. Specifically, task cost information (usually in the form of resource costs - standard rates, etc.), baselined, with some completed work (so that BCWP is greater than 0) - and a status date that is late enough for some of the activity is earlier than it.

Graham

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hi Anurag,

Define your WBS, add durations to tasks, assign resources to tasks, define Std. Rate for resources in resource sheet, set Project Status Date in Project Information tab, baseline your schedule. Now update it with actual(s) like % Complete or work hours, once all this is done you will be able to see SPI & CPI. Refer to following links :

SPI- http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project-help/spi-fields-HP001025917.aspx

CPI-  http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/project-help/cpi-fields-HP001023942.aspx

EV - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/bcwp-earned-value-or-ev-fields-HP010173396.aspx

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi Sapna,

Any idea how I can generate SPI curves on a week-by-week basis? For example, take "report ending date" as "every friday", plot SPI for each week from project start until current week?

Is there an easy way to do this charting in project 2010 itself, or worst case somehow extract data to excel to plot from there (if so, how?)

Thanks

• Edited by FanofMSoft Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Yes you can generate Visual Reports by choosing - Earned Value over time report. You can generate weekly, monthly etc usage report by selecting from usage drop down box. Numbers on reports would be cumulative figures weekly or monthly basis.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Thanks Sapna.

I see that the excel report does not contain SPI specifically but does contain EV and PV. In the project file, I added a SPI column manually but the values in it were 0. I then assigned a dummy cost of £1/hr for every resource and then I got the SPI column to populate (had to baseline my project first).

1. Can you confirm that what I have done is correct in a plan where I do not need to worry about/track cost (i.e. need to worry about only schedule/work) but still need SPI?

2. If correct, can you also let me know how can I add SPI to the visual report template for earned value? I tried editing the template but i was not able to find a SPI column to be able to graph it, in a similar way that the report graphs EV and PV.

Thanks.

• Edited by FanofMSoft Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:20 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:18 PM
  • Yeah using 1$/hr is widely used way to calculate EV when cost tracking is not involved and just timelines are used. You can use number field to copy SPI into it by writing a formula as Number1 = [SPI], then you can add this field by editing EV template. Now in pivot table, right click on a task name -> show properties in report from there select Number1.

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:47 PM