Does driver deployment with WSUS (still) work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'd like to hear from WSUS administrators if they are able to deploy drivers with WSUS.

I did that years ago and it worked but on our new WSUS server 2012 R2, it does not work. Drivers are not detected by the clients while other updates are detected. WSUS reporting shows, those drivers are needed nowhere.

If I retrieve such an update file (.cab) from wsuscontent and put it to the test and extract it, I can install the driver within and it suits and is newer than the former driver.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Ronald Schilf,

Personally, I would not deploying drivers via WSUS server, also it is not recommended to deploy drivers via WSUS.

One reason is that the number of drivers are large, while we actually need few of them, it may waste the memory.

Another reason is that, as far as I know, WSUS does not automatically recognize or download all drivers needed for all devices. This is because by default WSUS only receivers and distributes drivers that are fully and properly tested by Microsoft. So, deploying drivers via WSUS might not work such satisfactorily.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:15 AM
  • Hi Anne.

Detecting the update category "drivers" is not the only way to deploy them. You can also visit the MIcrosoft update cataloque website and import single drivers into WSUS, which keeps the database lean. Problem is: neither do work.

I am hoping for someone to confirm this. In another forum, already 2 admins confirmed this which makes me believe that Microsoft should look at this since it may be a bug as the same process used to work years ago when I last used it.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ronald Schilf,

>In another forum, already 2 admins confirmed this which makes me believe that Microsoft should look at this since it may be a bug as the same process used to work years ago when I last used it.

Which forum do you get this information, could you show me the link for reference.

And it's pity that I didn't find an official article to explain it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Hi Anne: this thread: https://www.administrator.de/frage/treiber-wsus-importieren-funktioniert-euch-noch-302195.html#comment-1092392 - it's in german, use bing translator to confirm.

"And it's pity that I didn't find an official article to explain it." - I fully understand, no need to explain. But it should work and had worked before on the same WSUS.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:49 AM
  • Hi Ronald Schilf,

During my research, I didn't find official article to confirm that drivers don't work on WSUS 2012R2. But according to my own test, things don't work well as expected. I got the same result with you that there are no needed drivers.

Personally, I don't like using WSUS server to deploy drivers, so previously, I didn't notice this issue.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:53 AM
  • Anne, thanks for testing.

Since nvidia had serious security bugs in their drivers, wsus deployment would have been helpful as nvidia does NOT offer silent deployment setups, as unbelievable as it sounds.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi Ronald Schilf,

Come to this point, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft, more in-depth investigation can be done so that you would get a more satisfying explanation and solution to this issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:07 AM
  • I have worked with them maybe on 6 cases and I would not let my worst enemy contact them. It takes them weeks to say "we don't know". The last time I contacted them went like this (just for laughs):

Me: there's a bug on your win10 client component of windows update. At the wsus (2008R2), I select an upgrade and mark it for removal (because there's a problem with that patch) - now on win8.1 clients, it gets removed, on win10, nothing happens.

MS: we have analysed this and you need a server 2012R2.

Me: So it does not work with 2008R2?

MS: We have not tested this on 2008R2 since we have no access to 2008R2 for testing.

Me: Then please send me a log of win10 confirming that an update got uninstalled based on a directive of your 2012R2 WSUS.

MS: This is not possible, we don't send files to customers

Me: then please paste the contents into a mail, it just needs to confirm it and we'll buy a server 2012R2 for WSUS.

MS: not possible

Me: ok, I have tried to reproduce this, it does not work with a 2012R2 WSUS. What did you do to make it work

MS: I cannot say what our technician did. This is all I can do for you.

Me: this is ridiculous

MS: Case closed (after several weeks!)

That, my friend, is MS professional support. Then, I asked a befriended admin who even pays for premier support. He filed the same case and after 9 weeks(!), MS admitted, it's a bug. But they won't resolve it since a normal premier support contract does not cover that.

Conclusion: premier support costs big money but does not even guarantee they look into bugs. Normal support: I will never use it again. Complaint filed, no answer since 2 months.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Hi Ronald Schilf,

It's pity that I couldn't help more to work out this issue with you and sorry for your unpleasant experience with MS. Hope others see this post may provide some help for you.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Hi Ronald and Anne, I have the same problem on WSUS 4 (Windows 2012R2), in what version of WSUS it used to work ?

thank you !

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Hi Augusto.

The last time I used it was years back on server 2008 with WSUS 3.0 SP2. But it does not work anymore on the same machine, so it seems, updates modified the WSUS code.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Hi!

We're currently running some tests on WSUS 10 (Server 2016), and among other things we'll be testing driver deployment.

When we finish testing I might get back here with some results.

Have a nice day guys!

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 4:59 PM