none
How to change drive letter during or after MDT Offline Image Deployment

Question

• Hi,

I need guidance or suggestion about how to assign drive letter to drives during or after OS deployment. Now I'm using MDT and deploy Offline Image (Windows 10) with USB Flash Drive.  I found USB is taking D drive but I need secondary partition to get D as drive letter. 

So OSDisk is fine and getting 'C' as drive letter but Data drive has 'E' drive letter which I need to have as 'D' once deployment is over. Anyway D drive is occupied or used by USB device (Offline Image Deployment).  Thank you.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Wisit,

This could be achieved via the VBscript here during the MDT deployment:

MDT 2013 – USB Boot and drive letter management

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Here is a similar thread for you to be as a reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d9444eae-b7a4-46a0-9032-92e9c6ee8276/change-drive-letter-assignment-through-mdt?forum=mdt

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi Karen,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your help :)   But I need one more question about it, if I use VBScript (for changing drive) during MDT Deployment, I'd like to know where I add it (VBScript) in the Task Sequence.

Regards,

Wisit

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:47 AM
  • HD letters can be edited 1 way..1st,select HD to be edited in its letter,open devicemgr,select HD,R.click on it,

select "uninstall" or "disable"  exit device mgr,do not restart pc.Next,in cmd or run,type: diskmgmt.msc

in msc,locate the drive to be edited,L.click on it,go up to actions/all/change drive letter/path/change letter,reset

to new letter.Device mgr has/had freed up that letter by uninstalling or disableing  the old asigned letter,once

reset in msc,exit,reopen device mgr,reset drive to active or enable,restart pc..Some actionsin some pcs require

the HD disable in device mgr a pc restart,ok,then reset as above..No device can be re-lettered until its disabled,

or uninstalled,once thru,then another device can take its letter for use.....

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Hi Wisit,

Have you read this blog in details?

MDT 2013 – USB Boot and drive letter management

It said that you need to modify the LTIBootStrap.vbs to manage the drive letters during the first boot.

Further more, I suggest you ask in MDT forum for more professional help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=mdt

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 6:50 AM