When Opening a Folder, Focus is Not Set to Last Email RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, all -

We just upgraded to Outlook 2016 from 2010. In 2010, if I clicked on a folder, it would open with the focus on the most recent email in that folder, unless, in an earlier visit to that folder, I had clicked on an earlier email and then left the folder without clicking on the last one.

But, now, when I click on a folder, it goes to the last email that had been selected in the folder, rather than the most recent, in all cases.

Not a big issue, but a change in functionality that takes a step backwards, in my opinion.

Or, might there be a setting to automatically set focus to the most recent email in a folder that I'm missing?

Thanx!

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

Thanks for your detailed clarification. From what I know, I am afraid there is no such a option in Outlook 2016 to change this behavior. In current situation, personally I'd like to suggest submitting your feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Outlook for Windows. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

May I know in what exact situation will Outlook 2010 "open with the focus on the most recent email in that folder"? 

I tested on Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2016, but didn't notice the difference between them. After launching Outlook, they all focus on the most recent message (the first one). If I select an earlier mail and then left the folder, the selection remains when I switch back to the folder. All the selection will be reset to the first message if I restart Outlook. 

Did I misunderstand anything? 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:17 AM
  • I have my folders to sort by date received in ascending order; I like seeing the most recent email on the bottom. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I'll check and see...

Nope, it doesn't.

Let's say the focus is set to the Sent Items folder and the selected email - not opened, just selected with a single click - is the most recent email sent. Now, I set focus to the Unread Mail folder and send a new email out. Then, once sent, I click on Sent Items to put the focus on that folder. In the display, the highlighted email is the one I just sent, the most recent one.

Now, the next scenario is where, again, the focus is set to the Sent Items folder but the selected email is one other than the most recent email sent; say, the one just prior to it. I change the focus to the Unread Mail folder and send a new email out. Once it's sent, I click on Sent Items to put the focus on that folder and, rather than the most recent email sent being highlighted, the one that was selected when focus was last on the Sent Items folder is highlighted.

This is the case no matter what folder has focus. If the most recent email in any folder is selected and focus changes from that folder, when I return focus to it, the most recent email - even if new emails had been placed in the folder due to rules - is highlighted.

In Outlook 2016, however, it doesn't matter. In all cases, when returning focus to a folder, the highlighted email is the one last selected, regardless if there are new emails or not in the folder with focus.

This isn't a big deal, it just messes with my expectations and what I'm accustomed to. But, my brain would like Outlook to remain functioning like what my brain is accustomed to.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:10 PM
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks for your detailed clarification. From what I know, I am afraid there is no such a option in Outlook 2016 to change this behavior. In current situation, personally I'd like to suggest submitting your feedback to the Outlook UserVoice forum. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Outlook for Windows. What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future. Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Thursday, July 19, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Thanx for your response, Yuki.

As best I know, it wasn't an option in Outlook 2010, either, just the way it functioned. Heck, it may not have even been intended, just the way things turned out when it went into production. But, I got used to it and I hate change.

I'll go ahead and post in the UserVoice forum, but I'm not sanguine about a return to the earlier functionality.

Thanx again!

Friday, July 20, 2018 2:02 PM