none
Resource Calendar in Project std 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a resource working 43% of the time M-F.

There is one Saturday that she needed to work on a specific task.  In her calendar I created a Saturday working day from 8-5 pm.  I also went to the Resource Sheet calendar and made sure that for that particular Saturday she would work 100% Units.

However, when I try to assign 8 hrs for that Saturday for her (task has already been done) the system keeps giving 3.43 hrs.  Am I not doing something that this system wants?  

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:46 PM

Answers

• jp-pm,

The problem is that assignments are made at the task level, not at the resource level. Even though you set up her calendar with an exception to work full time on Saturday, the assignment level on the task is 43% and that carries over to Saturday.

I suggest you break out the Saturday part of the task as a separate task and then assign her at 100%.

John

• Marked as answer by jp-pm Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:14 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Ok, It's fixed.

Thanks for your ideas.

I went to the "Task Usage" view and saw that for that Saturday the work was 3.43 hrs.

So I added various fields to see what was going on (Cum. Work, Act. Work).  I assigned 8 hours

to the task (Not to the resource) and then the resource equaled 8 hours too.  I think John - Project said that in the previous posting.  This post shows a particular way of the steps required.

Thanks John - Project.

• Edited by jp-pm Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:31 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• What is the scheduling mode for that particular task. Is it manually scheduled?

If it is manually scheduled then can you try making it Auto Scheduled and observer the result.

Can you try this and post what happens?

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Yes, it is manually scheduled.

I changed it to automatic and the results were the same.

• Edited by jp-pm Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:41 PM mispelled
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:37 PM
  • jp-pm,

The problem is that assignments are made at the task level, not at the resource level. Even though you set up her calendar with an exception to work full time on Saturday, the assignment level on the task is 43% and that carries over to Saturday.

I suggest you break out the Saturday part of the task as a separate task and then assign her at 100%.

John

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Hi John - Project,

Yes, that's what I have.  I have a task that was done on a Saturday.  On other tasks her name is stated with the "[43]%" assignment.  The task for Saturday only has her name with no %.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:58 PM
  • John- Project,

I created an extremely simple project that had 3 tasks (one of them for a Saturday) and it worked.

What could be happening to my original?  The task is manual, it has been done, I simply want it to make sure that instead of saying 3.4h of work that it would say the amount of hours the resource worked on that day (8 hrs).

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:02 PM
  • Ok, It's fixed.

Thanks for your ideas.

I went to the "Task Usage" view and saw that for that Saturday the work was 3.43 hrs.

So I added various fields to see what was going on (Cum. Work, Act. Work).  I assigned 8 hours

to the task (Not to the resource) and then the resource equaled 8 hours too.  I think John - Project said that in the previous posting.  This post shows a particular way of the steps required.

Thanks John - Project.

• Edited by jp-pm Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:31 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:13 PM
  • jp-pm,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:41 PM