Exchange 2010 MP Test-OutlookConnectivity extest_ errors every 10 Minutes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have installed SCOM 2007 R2 CU 4 (Build 6.1.7221.61) for Monitoring E2010 SP1 RU3 (yes - the new RU3!)

After installing the Exchange 2010 Management Pack, i have made a new extext_xxx Mailbox by running new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1

I have also enabled "Do not required Kerberos Preauthenthication"

I see the errors below every 10 Minutes and reset after 4 Minutes.

-Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Adress Book Failure (ABREF) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)
    -Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Adress Book Failure (NSPI) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)
    -Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - RPC Client Access failure (Connect) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)
    -KHI: TCP Connectivity Against Local Server - Unexpected Exception - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)

The CMD'let Test-OutlookConnectivity works fine with my Mailbox

$cred = Get-Credential
    Test-OutlookConnectivity -identity a.bohren -MailboxCredential $cred -RpcTestType:server -TrustAnySslCert:$true -MonitoringContext:$false

ClientAccessServer   ServiceEndpoint                               Scenario                            Result  Latency
                                                                                                                      (MS)
    ------------------   ---------------                               --------                            ------  -------
    ICESRV01.corp.ice... ICESRV01.corp.icewolf.ch                      RFRI::GetReferral.                  Success  311.03
    ICESRV01.corp.ice... ICESRV01.corp.icewolf.ch                      NSPI::GetProfileDetails.            Success  326.71
    ICESRV01.corp.ice... ICESRV01.corp.icewolf.ch                      Mailbox::Connect.                   Success   46.67
    ICESRV01.corp.ice... ICESRV01.corp.icewolf.ch                      Mailbox::Logon.                     Success   31.12

The same CMDlet with the extest_ Mailbox fails...

$cred = Get-Credential
    Test-OutlookConnectivity -identity extest_b2eb42b87d994 -MailboxCredential $cred -RpcTestType:server -TrustAnySslCert:$true -MonitoringContext:$false

ClientAccessServer   ServiceEndpoint                               Scenario                            Result  Latency
                                                                                                                      (MS)
    ------------------   ---------------                               --------                            ------  -------
    ICESRV01.corp.ice... ICESRV01.corp.icewolf.ch                      RFRI::GetReferral.                  Success   47.11
    Server data is corrupted. DataSource = 'QueryHomeMDB.QueryRows.HomeMDB', Violation = ''.
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (Microsoft.Excha...onnectivityTask:TestOutlookConnectivityTask) [Test-
       OutlookConnectivity], DataCorruptionException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 6364DBE4,Microsoft.Exchange.Monitoring.TestOutlookConnectivityTask

Any idea or help appreciated.

Regards Andres

-- MCSE 2003 MCSA 2003 Messaging MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS: Windows Server 2008 MCTS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 VCP - VMWare Certified Professional
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you use the latest version of Exchange Server 2010 Monitoring Management Pack?

The Exchange Server 2010 SP1 Monitoring Management Pack for OpsMgr 2007 is now available
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/operationsmgr/archive/2011/04/11/the-exchange-server-2010-sp1-monitoring-management-pack-for-opsmgr-2007-is-now-available.aspx

Downlaod Exchange Server 2010 Monitoring Management Pack
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=7150bfed-64a4-42a4-97a2-07048cca5d23

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi Yog Li,

Thank's for your Link - i was not aware of the new Version of the Exchange 2010 Management Pack.

I have installed the new Management Pack Version 14.02.0071.0. But on my Server i see almost the same Errors as with the old Version.

Regards Andres

-- MCSE 2003 MCSA 2003 Messaging MCITP: Enterprise Administrator MCTS: Windows Server 2008 MCTS: Exchange Server 2007 Configuration MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 VCP - VMWare Certified Professional
    Friday, May 6, 2011 9:29 PM
  • Hi Andres, Of course you did read through the whole management pack guide, right? Just to make sure we are not troubleshooting stuff that is "assumed" to be covered already.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I have read the Management Pack guide - and as far as i see there's nothing more to do. Most of the Management Pack works, only the few errors i have posted are failed.

I don't assume there's something wrong with the Management Pack itself. As i wrote on start of this Tread - the Test-OutlookConnectivity Command for the Testmailbox even fails at Exchange Level. Any Ideas what could be wrong there?

Regards Andres

Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:51 AM
  • I think you are possibly pointing in the right direction. If you have trouble running the command against exchage yourself you might have problems with the management pack way as well. Perhaps you can re-run the command that creates a test mailbox?
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog)
    Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi Bob,

After realizing that the Problems are already at Exchange, that was one of my first steps. But it did not help.

Regards Andres

Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:05 AM
  • I have even deleted  the the Account and created it manually instead of using new-TestCasConnectivityUser.ps1

But the Result is still the same - the following KHI are still red :o(

-Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Adress Book Failure (ABREF) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)
    -Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Adress Book Failure (NSPI) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)
    -Forensic: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - RPC Client Access failure (Connect) - Outlook Connectivity (Local Server)

Regards Andres

Sunday, May 8, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Hi all

When i look at the Monitor Properties of "KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Address Book failure (ABREF)" i can see this XML in the configuration Tab. SCOM searches for EventID's 2002|1002|3001 is that right?

But i don't see any of these EventID's on my Exchange Server? Any ideas how to find out what's wrong?

<Configuration>
      <MonitorType>KHI</MonitorType>
      <TimeWindowInSeconds>800</TimeWindowInSeconds>
      <RepeatThreshold>2</RepeatThreshold>
      <GoodStateExpression>
        <And>
          <Expression>
            <And>
              <Expression>
                <RegExExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <XPathQuery Type="UnsignedInteger">EventDisplayNumber</XPathQuery>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <Operator>MatchesMOM2005RegularExpression</Operator>
                  <Pattern>^(2002|1002|3001)$</Pattern>
                </RegExExpression>
              </Expression>
              <Expression>
                <SimpleExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <XPathQuery Type="String">PublisherName</XPathQuery>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <Operator>Equal</Operator>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <Value Type="String">MSExchange Monitoring OutlookConnectivity Internal</Value>
                  </ValueExpression>
                </SimpleExpression>
              </Expression>
            </And>
          </Expression>
          <Expression>
            <Not>
              <Expression>
                <SimpleExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <Value Type="UnsignedInteger">2002</Value>
                  </ValueExpression>
                </SimpleExpression>
              </Expression>
            </Not>
          </Expression>
        </And>
      </GoodStateExpression>
      <ProblemStateExpression>
        <And>
          <Expression>
            <And>
              <Expression>
                <RegExExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <Operator>MatchesMOM2005RegularExpression</Operator>
                  <Pattern>^(2002|1002|3001)$</Pattern>
                </RegExExpression>
              </Expression>
              <Expression>
                <SimpleExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <XPathQuery Type="String">PublisherName</XPathQuery>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <Value Type="String">MSExchange Monitoring OutlookConnectivity Internal</Value>
                  </ValueExpression>
                </SimpleExpression>
              </Expression>
            </And>
          </Expression>
          <Expression>
            <SimpleExpression>
              <ValueExpression>
              </ValueExpression>
              <ValueExpression>
                <Value Type="UnsignedInteger">2002</Value>
              </ValueExpression>
            </SimpleExpression>
          </Expression>
        </And>
      </ProblemStateExpression>
    </Configuration>

Regards Andres

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I think i had stated the wrong monitors. These four Monitors are generating Alerts.

KHI: HTTP Connectivity with Autodiscover - Unexpected Exception
    KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Address Book failure (ABREF)
    KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - Address Book failure (NSPI)
    KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against Local Server - RPC Client Access failure (Connect)

Regards Andres

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Friday, May 13, 2011 10:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andres Bohren Friday, May 13, 2011 10:49 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hy Andres
    Have you found a solution for your problem, i have the same issue.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 6:29 AM
  • I have same issues.. it seems that only RPC over HTTP gives this problem. TCP monitors work
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hello Andres,

did ou get your issue resolved yet, I'm facing the same errors except they are for the Outlook Connectivity (Client Access)

Thanks a lot

Friday, September 9, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Very same problem here. I am going to check RPC port range 1024-65535 balancing for CAS array as I suspect I am balancing only 6005-65535.

I'll be back with news soon.

Danilo  

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Very same problem here. I am going to check RPC port range 1024-65535 balancing for CAS array as I suspect I am balancing only 6005-65535.

I'll be back with news soon.

Danilo  

Extending port balance to 1024-65535 did not solve these problems.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:22 PM
  • I do have the exact same error at the a clients site.

Any updates on this problem?

Mine are:

KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against local server - Address Book failure (ABREF)

KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against local server - Address Book failure (NSPI)

KHI: HTTP Connectivity Against local server - RPC Client Access failure (connect)

It fails on all the servers.

Any update will be highly appreciated.

It's doing common things uncommonly well that brings succes.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:07 PM
  • I am having the very same problem as Dieter above.  The community would appreciate an update on this.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:39 PM
  • I am having the very same problem as Dieter above.  The community would appreciate an update on this.

I ended up disabling the specific rules because other rules will indicate the same issue when something is down. Still no fix though.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Same problem here using SCE 2010 and Exchange 2010 SP1.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:17 AM

I ended up disabling the specific rules because other rules will indicate the same issue when something is down. Still no fix though.

Same issue for me, any update would be appreciated.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:15 AM
  • I ran into the same issue, and was able to solve it by un-hiding the test account from the GAL:

Set-Mailbox -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $false -Identity 'domain.corp/Users/extest_xxxxxxxxxxxx'

• Proposed as answer by lodhmaps Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Unhiding the extest account did not resolve this for me.  The errors returned shortly after I closed them.  For me, this is not an answer or solution to the problem.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:33 PM
  • Similair problem, unhide didnt fix.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:33 AM
  • After Installing SP2 UR2 the problem is gone.
    Monday, June 25, 2012 10:54 AM
  • After installing SP2 RU3 the issue returned. 

I opened a premier support case with MS about the Exchange cmdlet that SCOM uses in this test and they indicated that a false positive is generated using Test-OutlookConnectivity with the RpcProxyTestType Internal in the following manner:

Test-OutlookConnectivity -RpcProxyTestType:Internal -RpcTestType:Server -TrustAnySSLCert:$true -MonitoringContext:$true

On the other hand using the -PpcProxyTestType:External is successful and does not throw errors.

Microsoft does not have any official documentation on this and said that the SCOM rules for this synthetic transaction can be turned off.

Friday, June 29, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi all

Is this a problem with the Ops Man management pack or the Exchange Roll Up ?

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:59 AM
  • Hi Karl

From my perspective it´s not a problem with a specific Rollup.Microsoft seems not to deal with these errors except from first recommending to enable synthetic Transactions (see MP Guide section "Optional Configurations")  and then advising to disable the failing Monitors again if you ask them about how to get it working properly.

I´ve seen this tests failing since the Ex2k10 RTM and the first version of the SCOM Exchange 2k10 MP. It´s most likely a combination of a design problem on the Exchange side (eg. Load Balancer + CAS Array + available Authentication Methods) and the way the tests are designed. This tests are fine as long as you are in a 1 CAS + 1 DB or DAG environment but seem to fail for unknown reason when you use Loadbalancer + CAS Array + multiple DAGs.

I´ve seen these alerts for the first time 2 1/2 years ago and have been searching for a fix from time to time since then because each and every of my larger customers is facing this issue.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:16 AM
  • I've similar problem with "KHI: HTTP Connectivity with Autodiscover - Unexpected Exception "

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/bca33537-e56e-4e3b-8243-c46ff5096745
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:22 PM
  • For me setting the option "hide from exchange address lists" for the exchange test user solved the issue! That's strange! We have different exchange 2010 environments which we monitor, and only one of them have this issue.

Details: I had the following error (when running the command "Test-OutlookConnectivity -RpcTestType:Server -TrustAnySSLCert:$true -MonitoringContext:$true" in Exchange 2010 powershell):

Type: Error
    Message: An exception occurred while the cmdlet was running. This often indicates the test environment isn't prepared correctly. The administrator needs to examine the configuration.
    Exception details: Microsoft.Exchange.Monitoring.DataCorruptionException: Server data is corrupted.
    DataSource = 'QueryHomeMDB.QueryRows.HomeMDB', Violation = ''.
    PerformanceCounters : Object: MSExchange Monitoring OutlookConnectivity
    Counter: OutlookConnectivity Latency
    Instance: server.local\extest_b09e50fc9a205: RPC-over-HTTP: False, [/Basic], [Server/Negotiate]
    Value: -1000

After setting the option "Hide from exchange address lists" on the user "extest_b09e50fc9a205" I rerun the command and finally getting the result:

server.local                 RFRI::GetReferral.                  Success   43.08
    server.local                 NSPI::GetProfileDetails.          Success   40.14
    server.local                 Mailbox::Connect.                  Success   14.68
    server.local                 Mailbox::Logon.                     Success   18.60

And no more SCOM-Alerts... Thanks to lodhmaps. But I am still wondering why this happens.

Friday, December 28, 2012 11:19 AM