none
Allocation of work only to available resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to assign resources to a task and have project allocate the work only to the available resources.  If a resource is not available I would like to have the work spread across those resources which are available to work.

I have 2 teams of field resources and they work on 2 separate rosters, 2 weeks on 1 week off.  The roster is designed so that 1 in every 3 weeks both teams are on site working.

I have created a calendar for each of the teams and allocated non-working times for the week off site.  Ideally I would like to assign both teams to the tasks and when there is only one team on site have project automatically assign all of the work to that team.  Once the second team is back site then the work can be distributed against he 2 teams.

Currently Project is assigning equally the work against the 2 teams and this pushed the completion date out to when both teams are working on site.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:29 AM

All replies

• Paul,

It is probably best to say right now that what you ask for in your first paragraph cannot be done with MSP.
    Which is not to say that the task and resources cannot be managed to find a feasible plan, but I think you will have to adjust your goals and expectations.

What is the duration of the task?

Are you by any chance in Western Australia?

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:57 AM