none
"Username" During DPM 2019 Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I've been deploying DPM to some customers and took it upon myself to script the SQL install along with the DPM install. We've been installing a small server appliance with SQL installed on the same machine as DPM, no other roles. 

If I use the GUI to install, I am able to proceed without issue. However, if I use an ini file, it tells me Error 3023 - DPM is unable to configure the Windows account because the password you entered does not meet the Group Policy requirements.

What windows account are they even referring to? Using the GUI install, there is a spot for Username, Company, and Product Key. I can literally put anything I want there for the username, and it just works. I assumed the username from my ini file would have been the same? What is that "user name" for in the GUI install anyway? It doesn't create any kind of user on my system. 

Also, one last thing. Using the ini I'm forced to include an SA password but with the GUI, it automatically says "we will install this product using the currently logged in user". How do I make that same thing work with the ini? 

• Edited by BeyondCaffeine Friday, October 23, 2020 12:29 AM Didn't include version
    Thursday, October 22, 2020 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Below is an example of how the DPMSetup.ini file should look like:

[OPTIONS]
    UserName=<Domain-name\Username>
    CompanyName="Your Company"
    ProductKey=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    SqlAccountPassword=<The password for the SQL sa account>
    ProgramFiles=D:\Program Files\
    DatabaseFiles=D:\Program Files\
    IntegratedInstallSource=D:\SCDPM2019
    SQLMachineName=<Name of the SQL Server Computer> OR <SQL Cluster Name>
    SQLInstanceName=DPM2019
    SQLMachineUserName=<Domain-name\Username>
    SQLMachinePassword=<Password for the user name Setup must use>
    SQLMachineDomainName=<Domain name to which the SQL Server computer is attached to>
    ReportingMachineName=<Name of the SQL Server Computer> OR <SQL Cluster Name>
    ReportingInstanceName=SSRS
    ReportingMachineUserName=<Domain-name\Username>
    ReportingMachinePassword=<Password for the user name Setup must use>
    ReportingMachineDomainName=<Domain name to which the SQL Server computer is attached to>

After the  DPMSetup.ini file is created, you simply run the following command to execute it:

start /wait D:\SCDPM2019\setup.exe /i /f D:\DPMSetup.ini /l D:\DPM_Install_Log.txt

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Friday, October 23, 2020 5:50 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2020 5:48 AM
  • Thanks, not sure if this answers my question but I appreciate the response. 
    Friday, October 23, 2020 12:00 PM
  • Could you please paste your .ini file so we can see what’s missing, it would help us more to see what may be missing.

Also, one last thing. Using the ini I'm forced to include an SA password but with the GUI, it automatically says "we will install this product using the currently logged in user". How do I make that same thing work with the ini? 

I believe the DPM GUI installer assumes that the currently logged in user already has Sysadmin permission on the SQL Server, but sysadmin is required for all System Center products if I remember correctly.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Friday, October 23, 2020 12:12 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2020 12:02 PM