none
If A Client Misses the Synchronization Time.... RRS feed

• Question

• Our standard synchronization times is 10AM (we're a small company). What happens if a client consistently misses this start time? I was asked recently what would occur if a user had a meeting that always started at 10AM. When would their synchronization occur? Does it occur as soon as they reconnect to the DPM server?

IT Operations Manager
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The sync won't restart upon connection, it will only trigger at the scheduled time. However a manual sync can be initiated from the client when it is connected and convienent. Also note that when you configure the client protection group there is an alerting option on the screen to configure the short term protection goals. By default the alerting option has a value of 14 days. If a client doesn't connect to DPM to sync for longer than the time specified in this option, the end user will get a pop up warning and the DPM admin will get an alert.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The sync won't restart upon connection, it will only trigger at the scheduled time. However a manual sync can be initiated from the client when it is connected and convienent. Also note that when you configure the client protection group there is an alerting option on the screen to configure the short term protection goals. By default the alerting option has a value of 14 days. If a client doesn't connect to DPM to sync for longer than the time specified in this option, the end user will get a pop up warning and the DPM admin will get an alert.

Friday, January 28, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Thanks for your response on this Marc. This is the message we are communicating to our users. But I should let you know we've seen different results.

Often times our clients will "kill" the backup manually using the client, only to have it restart shortly after.

I've also noticed laptops that I've had offline for a few days,  on login, immediately start a synchronization outside of the standard synch time. (i.e. any time of day)

So are there any other considerations here? I'm wondering if "optimization" of the protection group could effect this. There don't seem to be too many options for controlling this, but we're seeing some erratic behavior with regard to scheduling.

-Josh

IT Operations Manager
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:38 PM