none
Installing DPM ver. 1801 with SQL Server 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,
    I'm trying to install DPM 1801 on Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2017. DPM setup can't find reporting services, even its name is the same as Database Engine. I get the error "ReportServer$ssrs service isn't installed. Installation of MS SQL Server 2008 Reporting services isn't correct. Try reinstall SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services."

But I don't have SQL Server 2008 RS. Instead I have SQL Server 2017 RS, and the service has different name. Anyone knows what Can I do with it?

Thanks
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Michal!

I believe DPM1801 cannot be installed on SQL Server 2017 directly, even if the official documentation says so I believe it's wrong. From own experience I haven't been able to install it directly on SQL Server 2017.

Also since SQL Server 2017, the SQL Server Reporting Services is not included anymore and needs to be installed separately.

You can install DPM1801 on SQL Server 2016/SQL Server 2016 SP1 and then upgrade to SQL Server 2017.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Leon Laude Friday, December 14, 2018 10:40 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:04 PM
  • Hmmm. OK. Thanks.
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:13 AM
  • Agree with Leon, don't think it's possible to install directly on SQL Server 2017.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:12 AM
  • I have the same problem.

I'm trying to install DPM 1801 on Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2017 clustered and SSRS 2016SP2 or SSRS 2017 on different machine.

I get two errors in different installation cases :

DPM setup can't find reporting services, even its name is the same as Database Engine

or

DPM Setup detected that the SQL server provided to it is not clustered

I try any variants for SSRS: stabdalone 2016SP2 with default or named instance, or 2017

Friday, March 1, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Hi Semen,

As I mentioned above, the SQL Server  needs to be SQL Server 2016 RTM or SQL Server 2016 SP1.
    Unfortunately SQL Server 2016 SP2 or SQL Server 2017 won't work.

Friday, March 1, 2019 2:44 PM
  • and in addition to the above...

just right now, i installed sql 2017 on the same machine were installed SSRS 2017.
    i get the same errors.

To Leon, may be you right. but on this MS docs i see another info:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/install-dpm?view=sc-dpm-1801

Section DPM database: If SQL Server is clustered, Reporting Server and SQL Server should be on different machines.

And link to - Verify supported SQL Server versions for the DPM database. - You can install SQL Server on the DPM server or on a remote server.

SQL Server - supported versions

DPM version SQL version

DPM 1801 and later  

- SQL Server 2017 as detailed here

So... To be or not to be  :)

• Edited by ibGrass Friday, March 1, 2019 3:17 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 3:16 PM
  • You are right, the documentation states that it is supported, while I have never seen it being done.
    I also receive the exact same error as I do when installing DPM on a SQL that is definitely not supported according to the documentation.

The documentation is also not always up-to-date, this one is from 09/25/2018 and there are mistakes :-)

Friday, March 1, 2019 3:24 PM
  • and we have another DPM 1807 which use standalone SQL 2016 SP1 + SSRS 2016 with default instance. It is work normally.

just i want migrate dpm to my new sql 2017 cluster.

Friday, March 1, 2019 3:27 PM
  • The upgrade process from SQL Server 2016 > SQL Server 2017 shouldn't be a problem, I might write a step-by-step guide about that in the near future.

Friday, March 1, 2019 3:30 PM
  • Yes, yes....sometimes shit happens...with ms-))

but! i have successful experience with migrate only db by changing some registry keys. I think it is works, , but i did not do full tests.
    I stopped dpm service, did backup db, restored it on sql 2017 cluster and changed registry keys on DPM server:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DB]
    "ConnectionString"="Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=DPMDB_DPM1;Application Name=MSDPM;server=tcp:SQL2017DB1CL;Connect Timeout=90"
    "GlobalDbConnectionString"="Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=DPMDB_DPM1;Application Name=MSDPM;server=tcp:SQL2017DB1CL;Connect Timeout=90"
    "SqlServer"="SQL2017DB1CL"
    "GlobalSqlServer"="SQL2017DB1CL"
    "DatabaseName"="DPMDB_DPM1"
    "InstanceName"="mssqlserver"
    "ReportingInstanceName"="DPM1Report"  - must use old value, i tried ssrs 2016sp2 named instance
    "ReportingServer"="reports"  - must use old value
    "LinkedServerName"="GlobalServer"
    "GlobalDatabaseName"="DPMDB_DPM1"
    "GlobalInstanceName"="mssqlserver"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DB]
    "ConnectionString"="Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=DPMDB_DPM1;Application Name=MSDPM;server=tcp:sql2017db1cl;Connect Timeout=90"

SSRS should stay on old sql machine, because i got error:

DPM could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Services.

Restart SQL Server Reporting Services, and then try the operation again.

and can not find solution for this issue.

• Edited by ibGrass Friday, March 1, 2019 3:48 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2019 3:45 PM
  • As SQL Server Reporting Services cannot be clustered, you can either keep it on the old server or install it on one of the SQL Server 2017 cluster nodes.

There does seem to be some differences between SSRS2016 and SSRS2017, I'm also experiencing issues with other System Center products when trying to upgrade to SSRS2017.

Friday, March 1, 2019 3:51 PM