SCOM 2012 monitor multiple services across domain RRS feed

• Question

• I work in a large environment, with many different applications.

I am looking for a way to monitor all application services through one monitor. For example I could create a discovery where installed applications on a servers are identified through are registry key. From there on I would like to trigger a monitor which triggers the used services. If regkey is X than monitor services X.

Is anything like this possbile?

Due to the number of different applications I wouldnt prefer to build a ServiceMonitor per Application.

Maybe i am overthinking this.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hi

Certainly an interesting concept and not something you can do in the GUI (though I suspect you appreciate that!).  It would be doable, perhaps via a script that reads the registry key and uses the data as input parameters to the script? But I don't think it will save much time in the long run in terms of administration and management and will take a lot of upfront work to ensure it works as expected.

In general I take the registry approach to discover the application and then unit service monitors within SCOM to monitor the services. In Visual Studio you can copy \ paste monitors so it is usually quite quick (you could even have a snippet per application to speed things up). The potential advantage of this approach is that I am a SCOM Admin and can control which services get monitored on which servers through SCOM. If I store all the information in the registry on a server then chances are I don't have rights to the registry to view \ update information .. which means I then need to consider potentially how to override monitoring against a specific service that is listed in the registry.

From a service model \ health model perspective I would definitely build a service monitor per application. But this is personal. There are many ways to achieve the same thing in SCOM. Good luck and let us know how you get on. It is a really interesting technical approach.

Regards

Graham

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:04 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2015 7:54 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you need to author your own management pack that will achieve what your looking to do and setup a distributed application for this management pack

Here is a free tool on how to build your own management pack and set the registry key as your discovery option:

http://www.silect.com/mp-author

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I was afraid that building a costum solution would be my only possibility.

I know how to make a managementpack / discovery but this question is a bit out of my league. Do you have any suggestion how to handle this?

Perhaps a solution in which I can monitor a list (perhaps in a text file) of services, which will be targeted to a certain group.

OR:

make a self solution portal for the business, in which they can make there own service monitor. 

Is anything like this possible? (Let people select the windows computer, and installed services on the computer for monitoring)

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:08 AM
  • For a self service portal, you could setup the self service portal in systems center and link it to some runbooks in orchestra that links to SCOM. This would be a very interesting project to setup

Yes you can also target a list of services within a target group. You can do this via setting up a distributed application and design your own application that will monitor services within that group within SCOM

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457612.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Cheers,

Andrew

MCSE, MCSA, VCP, CCNA, SNIA

Microsoft Infrastructure Consultant

Blog: Network Angel LinkedIn:

Note: Please remember to mark as "propose as answer" to help other members. Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by CloudAngel Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:29 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Hi Floris,

So if you Author your own MP'S using the registry based discovery.

So if you say you want to monitor the services on all these agents right ?

So is it only one service or a bunch of them using one monitor ?

If it is a common service then you can create a simple unit monitor and target the same to a custom created target i.e the registry one which you were mentioning.

If it is a bunch of them, Then you will need to query the same using a powershell script and spoof that into a monitor and generate a alert based on a criteria. 

Gautam.75801

Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Hi

Certainly an interesting concept and not something you can do in the GUI (though I suspect you appreciate that!).  It would be doable, perhaps via a script that reads the registry key and uses the data as input parameters to the script? But I don't think it will save much time in the long run in terms of administration and management and will take a lot of upfront work to ensure it works as expected.

In general I take the registry approach to discover the application and then unit service monitors within SCOM to monitor the services. In Visual Studio you can copy \ paste monitors so it is usually quite quick (you could even have a snippet per application to speed things up). The potential advantage of this approach is that I am a SCOM Admin and can control which services get monitored on which servers through SCOM. If I store all the information in the registry on a server then chances are I don't have rights to the registry to view \ update information .. which means I then need to consider potentially how to override monitoring against a specific service that is listed in the registry.

From a service model \ health model perspective I would definitely build a service monitor per application. But this is personal. There are many ways to achieve the same thing in SCOM. Good luck and let us know how you get on. It is a really interesting technical approach.

Regards

Graham

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:04 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2015 7:54 AM