WSS 3.0 - Affect of removing defaultProxy from web.config? RRS feed

• Question

• We have been trying to install and use CodePlex RSS web parts in our WSS 3.0 environment and they work wonderfully on SharePoint sites not built on port 80. However on port 80, we contanstly got an error (Insufficient permissions for setting the configuration section 'defaultProxy'.)

Checking with our proxy administration team, we were advised that "none of our servers go through proxy". This would include our SharePoint servers.

If I changed the web.config to <proxy autoDetect="False"/>, still got error. If I remove that section (including the <defaultProxy> tags) altogether, it does work.

Can anyone advise what, if anything, else this might affect out of the box WSS 3.0?

- Thank you. Respectfully, Janette M. Ricker
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 25, 2011 5:46 PM As WSS 3.0 doesn't even include Excel Services you are clearly in the wrong forum (From:SharePoint - Excel Services (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, my opinion is that you don’t need to worry since you can work correctly, the defaultProxy is set for the ISA server requires proxy authentication. If you don’t have the ISA server to configure, it would be ok. The followed article should give you some guides:

http://geekswithblogs.net/mnf/archive/2006/03/08/71663.aspx.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by JaeEmAre Monday, March 28, 2011 11:12 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, my opinion is that you don’t need to worry since you can work correctly, the defaultProxy is set for the ISA server requires proxy authentication. If you don’t have the ISA server to configure, it would be ok. The followed article should give you some guides:

http://geekswithblogs.net/mnf/archive/2006/03/08/71663.aspx.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by JaeEmAre Monday, March 28, 2011 11:12 AM
    Monday, March 28, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Thank you Leo. We do not have ISA however this company does have a different kind of proxy. We are putting a plan in place to make this change and then spend a couple of weeks regression testing everything.
    - Thank you. Respectfully, Janette M. Ricker
    Monday, March 28, 2011 11:13 AM