none
Data Protection Manager and item-level support RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Although there are many questions that in some way might be classified as equal to mine, this is something that hurts my soul and I simply have to ask.

Why in this earth, isn't DPM able to perform item-level recovery on Exchange and AD like in sharepoint, when there are so may third party companies that do it, and so damn well. I just need a reason so I can sleep at night. You may not believe, but this hurts so much inside..

Thanks for any reply.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:37 PM

Answers

• DPM follows Exchange/AD supported Disaster Recovery process.

That's why currently DPM doesn't perform item level Exchange/AD recovery.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by evolvtyon Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• DPM follows Exchange/AD supported Disaster Recovery process.

That's why currently DPM doesn't perform item level Exchange/AD recovery.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

• Marked as answer by evolvtyon Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Hi Evolvtyon,

If you are interested there is a third party tool you can add to DPM that enables you to do item level recovery of Exchange data.

It is MailRetriever  by AppAssure. http://www.appassure.com/applications/recover-emails/mailretriever-for-dpm

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Hello Wilson,

Indeed it is supported. And shurelly it is a disaster recovery process. But it ins't item level, and in AD recovery, let's say, to restore a single OU unit, it even forces server downtime. I'm just trying to understand why DPM, being a MSFT backup solution for MSFT products, doesn't support this. It's just weird and out of place.

I'm also aware that third party tools usually work in ways that are not recomended by MSFT nor suposelly are supported procedures. But the thing is that they work and prevent down time, and we all know that today, any IT business can be hanged or praised by the amount of downtime a server is submitted to.

I'm actually with all these problems because of the potential that DPM has and of what he can accomplish if given wings to fly. If sharepoint was already blessed with a item level functionality that just keeps getting better, why should Exchange or AD be left out? Why not go a little more further?

Anyway thank you both for your answers.

Buchatech, I'm checking it out, Thanks.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:46 PM