Polycom cx600, 700 quality problems vs good quality on PC with USB headset on same WAN RRS feed

• Question

• Datacenter:  45Mbps MPLS with a dedicated 2Mbps SIP trunking directly to split out mediation server, 2 EE FEs, 1 Edge

Branch: 6Mbps MPLS WAN to Datacenter.  3 test EV Lync users with laptops and usb headsets and DIDs from datacenter SIP trunk.  2 polycom phones cx600 and 700 signed in with same users, not tethered, just straight IP.  DHCP setup correctly, phones sign in fine and peer to peer calls on the LAN work great.  WAN is not saturated with traffic (monitored with stealthwatch).

Issue:  Any PSTN calls to or from users that come into the datacenter SIP trunk are answered by the EV test users in the branch site and:

1. IF the call is answered on the laptop with a usb headset, the quality is fine, and reminds fine testing a full 5min call.  Tested with CAC w/ BW policies and also with no BW policies on the branch subnet.
    2. IF the call is answered with a Polycom cx600 or 700 (which has the latest firmware) the phones quickly spit out "Poor network conditions are causing audio quality...." and the quality is aweful.

All the tests were fair as whatever PSTN number we used to call the laptop users, we also used to call the polycom phones.  I'm not sure what to make of it, and any suggestions would be great.

-Chad

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• QoS priority was finally enabled and the issues have gone away.  Still odd that a WAN line less than 30% used had issues with the polycom phones, and the pc client worked great.  Nonetheless it appears the g711/722 codec is more sensitive to this and the router QoS adjustments fixed the issue.

-Chad

• Marked as answer by philldogger Monday, June 4, 2012 8:46 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:45 PM

All replies

• One other note, the polycom always receives the audio fine....ie...the PSTN caller's voice comes out fine on the polycom phone, but when the polycom user talks back the PSTN user only hears a robotic, poor quality audio.

I'm going to run more tests that dont have to do with PSTN users and just peer to peer calls over the WAN to another WAN site using polycom endpoints to see how it fairs as well.

-Chad

Friday, June 1, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Did some further tests with cx600,700 just doing a conference call over the WAN to the FE server.  Same problems...the polycom phone can hear audio from Lync (who are using laptops/headsets) but when the polycom user talks the lync users with headsets hear garbage.  Not sure if it matters but we use inband provisioning for audio ports:

Set-CsConferencingConfiguration -ClientAudioPort 20000 -ClientAudioPortRange 40 and i can see the phones are using these ports correctly outbound.

Still the same results with laptop/headset users...everything works fine and WAN is not saturated.  Should note we do not have QoS yet for these audio ports and we will eventually, but the tests should succeed on some level especially when the WAN is not saturated.  I think something else is going on with outbound audio from the polycom phones since inbound always sounds fine on the phones.

-Chad

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Update:  Did a peer to peer call across the WAN to a Lync/laptop/headset user using my polycom phone.  It worked fine, meaning the RTAudio codec works....but the G.711 PSTN calls and G.722 conference calls are the problem.  When using those codecs across the WAN the issue arises.  Any suggestions?

-Chad

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Call Information - polycom phone call to FE server conference

Caller PAI:

sip:cphillips@wabtec.com

Callee PAI:

sip:cphillips@wabtec.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:audio-video:id:9VVJL6G4

Caller URI:

sip:cphillips@wabtec.com

Callee URI:

sip:cphillips@wabtec.com;gruu;opaque=app:conf:audio-video:id:9VVJL6G4

Caller endpoint:

OCPhone

Callee endpoint:

WCSSRV0198

Caller user agent:

CPE/4.0.7577.4066 OCPhone/4.0.7577.4066 (Microsoft Lync   2010 Phone Edition)

Callee user agent:

RTCC/4.0.0.0 AV-MCU/4.0.7577.183

Call start:

6/1/2012 4:10:52 PM

Duration:

00:03:46

Mediation Server   bypass call

False

Media bypass   warning flag

Caller OS:

WINCE 6.0

Callee OS:

Windows 6.1.7601 SP: 1.0 Type: 3 (Server) Suite:   0000000000000110 Arch: x64 WOW64: False

Caller CPU:

ARM

Callee CPU:

CPU Brand GenuineIntel Family 0x6 Model 0x2c EM64T MaxFunc   0xb MaxFuncExt 0x80000008

Caller CPU core   number:

Callee CPU core   number:

Caller CPU speed:

Callee CPU speed:

3.066 GHz

Caller CPU   virtualization:

None

Callee CPU   virtualization:

None

Media Line (Main   Audio)

MediaLine Information

Caller report received:

True

Callee report received:

True

Connectivity

Direct

Transport

UDP

Caller ICE warning flag

There were no failures or ICE was not used.

Callee ICE warning flag

Bandwidth policy restriction decreases the Bandwidth.

Applied bandwidth limit:

151 Kbps

Applied bandwidth source:

StaticMax

Caller IP:

Callee IP:

Caller subnet:

Callee subnet:

Caller user site:

MPL.MotivePower

Callee user site:

WCS.Datacenter

Caller region:

WabtecGlobal

Callee region:

WabtecGlobal

Caller MAC address:

Callee MAC address:

00-17-A4-77-00-6A

Caller connection type:

Wired

Callee connection type:

Wired

Caller Basic Service Set Identifier (BSSID)

Callee Basic Service Set Identifier (BSSID)

Caller link speed:

10000 Kbps

Callee link speed:

2000000 Kbps

Caller inside:

True

Callee inside:

True

Caller VPN:

False

Callee VPN:

False

Caller Device and Signal Metrics

Capture device:

UCPhone

Capture device driver:

UCPhone FM Audio Driver

Render device:

UCPhone

Render device driver:

UCPhone FM Audio Driver

Send signal level:

-9 dBov

Receive signal level:

-23 dBov

Send noise level:

-58 dBov

Receive noise level:

-90 dBov

Echo return:

Initial signal level RMS:

Callee Device and Signal Metrics

Echo return:

Initial signal level RMS:

Caller Client Event

Voice switch time:

Low SNR time:

0.00 %

Low network bandwidth time:

0.00 %

High network delay time:

0.00 %

Poor network receive quality time:

0.00 %

Poor network send quality time:

93.00 %

Callee Client Event

Audio Stream (Caller -> Callee)

Codec:

SIREN

Sample rate:

Audio FEC:

True

Bandwidth estimates:

1460 Kbps

Packet utilization:

Avg. packet loss rate:

65.71 %

Max. packet loss rate:

85.77 %

Avg. jitter:

4 ms

Max. jitter:

12 ms

Avg. round trip:

249 ms

Max. round trip:

460 ms

Burst duration:

4298 ms

Burst gap duration:

836 ms

Burst density:

69.10 %

Burst gap density:

0.00 %

Avg. concealed samples ratio:

71.00 %

Avg. stretched samples ratio:

2.00 %

Avg. compressed samples ratio:

4.00 %

Avg. network MOS:

Min. network MOS:

Avg. network MOS degradation:

Max. network MOS degradation:

NMOS degradation (jitter):

5.00 %

NMOS degradation (packet loss):

94.00 %

Audio Stream (Callee -> Caller)

Codec:

SIREN

Sample rate:

Audio FEC:

False

Bandwidth estimates:

4215 Kbps

Packet utilization:

Avg. packet loss rate:

0.28 %

Max. packet loss rate:

2.14 %

Avg. jitter:

9 ms

Max. jitter:

15 ms

Avg. round trip:

174 ms

Max. round trip:

174 ms

Burst duration:

310 ms

Burst gap duration:

13113 ms

Burst density:

19.35 %

Burst gap density:

0.00 %

Avg. concealed samples ratio:

5.00 %

Avg. stretched samples ratio:

5.00 %

Avg. compressed samples ratio:

11.00 %

Avg. network MOS:

Min. network MOS:

Avg. network MOS degradation:

Max. network MOS degradation:

NMOS degradation (jitter):

0.00 %

NMOS degradation (packet loss):

0.00 %

-Chad

Friday, June 1, 2012 8:26 PM
  • QoS priority was finally enabled and the issues have gone away.  Still odd that a WAN line less than 30% used had issues with the polycom phones, and the pc client worked great.  Nonetheless it appears the g711/722 codec is more sensitive to this and the router QoS adjustments fixed the issue.

-Chad

• Marked as answer by philldogger Monday, June 4, 2012 8:46 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 8:45 PM
  • This issue was most likely caused by the fact that by default the Windows Lync client does not use QoS tagging, but all Lync Phone Edition clients do

Lync Server stamps media traffic with DSCP 40 for all LPE devices by default and often times network QoS is configured for other DSCP values (e.g. 46 EF) and this packets tagged with other values may actually be de-prioritized versus the untagged traffic coming from the Windows desktop clients.

See this article for more details: http://blog.schertz.name/2011/08/lync-qos-behavior/

Jeff Schertz | Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | Lync MVP

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Hey Jeff, you may be right, however we don't use diffserv for qos, just ports and IPs and different priority queues.  Also it was only issue with SIREN on the phones as rtaudio calls were fine.  Needless to say once we put the audio port range in a higher queue it all works.

-Chad

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Correction, even with QoS we still have about a 75ms avg round trip, meaning all our calls from the branch site are using SIREN instead of g711/722.  I was mistaken in alienating these two codecs as the issue, when the whole time only SIREN is being used for conference calls.  Either cu3 or 4 changed the ms requirement to be >25ms in order to use g722.  Unfortunately even with WAN QoS in place we cannot seem to get that low.  Any other branch site deployments experience the same?  Maybe another reason to deploy Std ed FE server at the branch.

-Chad

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I've seen the same quality issues with our Polycom CX600's where the mediation server/gateway are on the same LAN. I've set the device configuration to use DSCP 0 just like PC clients but it seems to have had no effect. Not exactly sure where to go on this one other than dive into the world of QoS. And then I'm not sure whether to go the DSCP or port range route.
    Friday, June 8, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Start with some QoE reports from your monitoring server, also check with your network group if they are doing Diffserv for QoS already.  If this is on your local LAN and you have a gateway, are you using media bypass, and if so what is the call quality for PSTN calls made with the cx600?  Lastly see if your local switches are using LLDP for assigning phones to different VLANs.  This may or may not pertain to your issue, but there is another post about setting the VLAN ID to high for polycom Lync phones to use: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/c4a10ffd-0ec6-49a2-86e0-0de060062218

As far as choosing to go DSCP or just port range route...that's really up to your network group and how they do WAN QoS today....you just have to join the ride as Lync accomodates both.  Our MPLS network doesn't use diffserv so no tagging stuff for me via GPOs....just inband provisioning and giving the network guys the audio port range to plug into a QoS queue for me.

-Chad

Friday, June 8, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Start with some QoE reports from your monitoring server, also check with your network group if they are doing Diffserv for QoS already.  If this is on your local LAN and you have a gateway, are you using media bypass, and if so what is the call quality for PSTN calls made with the cx600?  Lastly see if your local switches are using LLDP for assigning phones to different VLANs.  This may or may not pertain to your issue, but there is another post about setting the VLAN ID to high for polycom Lync phones to use: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsvoice/thread/c4a10ffd-0ec6-49a2-86e0-0de060062218

For example, here is a call that entered from the PSTN to a Polycom CX600 at the same site as the gateway/mediation server (but different VLAN) and a QoE report shows 'Poor network send quality time: 21.00%'. I'm not seeing anything highlighted in yellow or red in the audio stream info, the codec is PCMA and media bypass is enabled. We are not using LLDP and we do not have any phones in VLAN's higher than 512. I'm gonna make a lot of test calls today and see if I can notice a trend.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Since you don't use LLDP I'm assuming you are using DHCP option 43 to put the cx600 in a diff vlan? (or maybe its just simple vlan ports)  If so, for troubleshooting, remove that and get your phones on your data vlan to test.  Do this to isolate the issue to something networking and not the phone.  You may need to soft reset your polycom phones.  See how testing goes on that vlan your softphone users use.

-Chad

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Nope, it's simply a port untagged for that VLAN with the phone plugged in.. And it isn't necessarily a VOIP only VLAN, there are many workstations and even servers on it. I'm still working on trying to replicate the issue but it seems so random. If I can do that I'll move the phone to the same VLAN as the gateway/mediation server and go from there. I'm not a huge networking guy but I don't see how a simple VLAN hop would cause quality problems.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:14 PM
  • hard to say, it could be layer 3 vlan routing has some bottlenecks on switch/routers.  But yeah the same vlan test should help in the troubleshooting steps to isolate the issue.

-Chad

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:19 PM
  • I can’t find a suitable place to inquire about polycom cx600. Polycom cx600 prompts “Poor network conditions are causing audio quality issues”. Based on what standard is this error prompt thrown?
    Wednesday, December 18, 2019 8:42 AM