Vista cannot install to a SAS drive RRS feed

• Question

• I got a new RR2680 and attached a MAX3073RC Fujitsu 73GB SAS to it. I want to use it as the OS disk.

When I install windows Vista the installation completes fine (the file copy, uncompress, feature install part). But it cannot boot at all after that initial stage. It says System file missing/corrupt (I tried install a few times and each time a different file. Error code was something like 0xc0000221) and asks me to do repair. which does not solve problem. The SAS drive makes strange sounds when it tries to boot.

I tested the drive and controller in a pre-installed Vista (80GB ATA drive) and it works fine as a normal volume. I ran tests and benchmarks.
    When I look at the content of the dirve after a failed install/reboot, I can see temp folder suggesting Vista hasn't finished installing yet. More to do after the reboot. (I can't remember all the steps and number of reboot before Vista is completely installed).

* MORE INFO * I've done further testing with a Seagate Cheetah 300GB (ST3300656SS) and a Western Digital 640GB SATA (WD6400AAKS). Both were tested with the SAS controller. The SATA installed fine and the Seagate SAS failed the same as Fujitsu SAS. The failing point is always after the first reboot when the files finishe copying/uncompressing.

The SAS drive is connected to the RR2680 via an Adaptec internal miniSAS to 4x SATA cable (I-MSASX4-4XSATAX1-.5). The SAS drive has an adapter attached to allow for normal SATA cable and power connection. There is nothing else attached to the controller and no other HDD attached to the motherboard controller either.

Can you please assist me in solving this problem?

Thanks for your time.
    • Edited by Sinisterk_123 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:19 AM more testing done
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hello,

According to the problem description, you met the error code 0xc0000221while installing Windows Vista OS; it should be a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

First of all, please contact the manufacturer whether your hard disk device is compatible with vista, test the disk onto another computer to install Vista and upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to test whether it is a hardware related issue. If the problem still persists, to troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 19, 2009 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the problem description, you met the error code 0xc0000221while installing Windows Vista OS; it should be a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a hardware device, third-party drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

First of all, please contact the manufacturer whether your hard disk device is compatible with vista, test the disk onto another computer to install Vista and upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to test whether it is a hardware related issue. If the problem still persists, to troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, January 19, 2009 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time in reading the post and explaining the problem.

I believe it is a combination of the raid card and the sas drive, namely the driver of the raid card. There is currently no new Bios update for my mobo or raid card so I will have to contact the manufactures to see if they can preproduce my problem.
    In terms of the SAS HDD compatibilty, I believe the Fujitsu one is -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=FUJITSU%20Enterprise%20MAX3147RC%20-%20hard%20drive%20-%20147%20GB%20-%20SAS&v=FUJITSU&uid=&pf=0&pi=4&c=Storage%20Devices&sc=Hard%20Drives%2C%20Internal&os=32-bit

That's the 147GB version. However I can't find the 73GB version on the list...

I hope the raid card manufacture can help out.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:01 AM