Manual Install of Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I've a footwalled system I need to install MS updates on. I've got a lot to do so I'm going to create a batch file and do it command line. Is there any difference between running the msu directly or calling it by using wusa?

i.e

1.         Update.msu /quiet /norestart

2.         WUSA Update.msu /quiet /norestart

Ideally I'd also like a way of check prerequisites as well.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Friday, May 22, 2020 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The supported way is to use wusa.exe update.msu /quiet /norestart

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/934307/description-of-the-windows-update-standalone-installer-in-windows

If you click the update.msu file, you can install it manually.

Saturday, May 23, 2020 4:51 PM
  • Hi SteveJ,

The Windows Update Standalone Installer(WUSA)uses the Windows Update Agent API to install update packages. Update packages have an .msu file name extension. The .msu file name extension is associated with the WUSA.

Before update, make sure the update match your OS version, edition, build. By the way, If you received an * .msu update file from third-party source, it may have been damaged. Try to download the MSU update file from the Windows Update Catalog site

Know more about WUSA, refer to the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/934307/description-of-the-windows-update-standalone-installer-in-windows

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:03 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regard,

Sylvia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 5:40 AM