How to create a boot cd RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Vostro computer which is 2.5 years old with Windows XP SP3.  Recently, my system drive has started to have error, indicating, I believe that it is going bad.  I purchased Norton Ghost to copy the system drive to a brand new drive.  I made the copy and restarted my computer booting off the new drive.  The startup got to the Windows XP screen before the Welcome screen and stopped.  Norton says to boot from a disk and run fdisk /mbr.  Unfortunately, my computer did not come with an XP installation disk and in searching the Internet, I can only find how to create boot floppies.  My computer does not have a floppy drive.  I also tried using a Windows 98 setup disk but that did not have the necessary drivers for a cd-rom drive.

How do I create a bootable cd to fix my problem?  The errors are getting more frequent.  I have too many programs installed to start new and re-install all programs.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:59 PM

All replies

• You need a Dell Reinstallation disk.  You can contact Dell and ask them about purchasing one of their Reinstallation disks.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:43 PM