none
windows shared VPN resource not utilizing saved credentials for specific network location Windows 7

Question

• I have network resources available over a VPN connection but Windows 7 will not use the credentials I have entered in credential manager nor does it prompt me for user credentials upon opening the resource.  I have tried the following:

-delete entry from credential manager

-net use * /del (result "there are no entries in the list")

-net use \\servername /del (result "the network connection could not be found")

-net use /persistent:no

None of these steps have done anything to resolve this issue. Please advise another solution to clear the mysteriously cached credentials.....

Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean the credential manager cannot remember the password after you manually type in? If it does, I suggest you follow the steps below to fix it. Before that, please tell us whether you can access the network resource after typing password in the credential window.

Firstly, please go to credential manager, then follow the steps in the link below to add a credential again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/store-passwords-certificates-and-other-credentials-for-automatic-logon

After that, reopen credential manager, and check whether the password is saved. If it is not saved, we consider it may be the system problems. Please type “Services” in search box, then finding “Credential Manager” in the list. Right click it > “Properties”. In startup column, choose “Manual”. If it does not work, I infer the system files corrupt, you would better use SFC to fix the system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If the password is saved but the credential window still appears, I infer it may be the problem of network resource settings. You can attempt to access the network resource from another PC by the same account for test. If another computer still cannot access it, you need to check the password and pay attention to the domain name. If necessary, you need to contact your local administrator for help.  

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 25, 2015 1:55 AM

All replies

• Never mind, you took too long. Figured it out somewhere else. Thanks for....
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean the credential manager cannot remember the password after you manually type in? If it does, I suggest you follow the steps below to fix it. Before that, please tell us whether you can access the network resource after typing password in the credential window.

Firstly, please go to credential manager, then follow the steps in the link below to add a credential again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/store-passwords-certificates-and-other-credentials-for-automatic-logon

After that, reopen credential manager, and check whether the password is saved. If it is not saved, we consider it may be the system problems. Please type “Services” in search box, then finding “Credential Manager” in the list. Right click it > “Properties”. In startup column, choose “Manual”. If it does not work, I infer the system files corrupt, you would better use SFC to fix the system files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If the password is saved but the credential window still appears, I infer it may be the problem of network resource settings. You can attempt to access the network resource from another PC by the same account for test. If another computer still cannot access it, you need to check the password and pay attention to the domain name. If necessary, you need to contact your local administrator for help.  

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 25, 2015 1:55 AM