SigmaTel C-Major Audio driver question RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell D400 Latitude with the SigmaTel C-Major audio.

It works fine (R90698 driver, per the Dell support page for the D400) but the volume control is too coarse.

When I adjust the WAV output so that I get an acceptable maximum output using the Volume Control buttons, the minimum level is too high (more precisely, the minimum level before sound cuts out completely).

So depending on what kind of music I listen to and the time of day, I always have to open the Volume Control applet to adjust the Wave output because the volume control switches on the laptop do not have the dynamic range I need.

Also, it would be nice to have the volume control displayed on the screen like my Dell D630 does, but this I can live without.

I know there are more recent drivers for the SigmaTel C-Major (the one installed with R90698 is version 5.10.0.3952, but reading through the forum for all the problems during sound driver upgrade, I am reluctant to try and upgrade the drivers without some confidence that these problems would be fixed.

Please note that I have the same issue if I use Bluetooth headset or speakers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Didier
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:02 PM