Answers

• Hi carbech,

Yes, it is possible.

Please refer to following similar discussion:

Restoring database from .mdf and .ldf files of SQL Server 2008

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by carlbech Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi carlech,

What version of SQL Server are you using?

You may try to use SQL Server Back to URL that uses the windows azure blob storage service as a back up destination.

SQL Server Backup to URL

Check if this helps.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 5:51 AM
  • Hi Pirlo,

Thank you for your reply. After you asked about which version of SQL Server I use I decided to upgrade to version 2017 14.0.1000 (from 12.0.2569). In the process of attaching my databases to the new engine I realized I had asked the wrong question regarding backup, because my concern is that if I lose my computer I should be able access my databases from a different computer. I had wrongly assumed I needed to have my backup files available for that. But now I understand it is the .mdf and .ldf files I need. So the solution seems to be that I simply copy those files manually from the DATA folder to a folder on my Cloud drive. When I need to access them from a different computer I install SQL Server Express (with Management Studio) on the new computer; then I copy the .mdf and .ldf files from the Cloud folder to the DATA folder for the SQL Server on the new computer's C-drive. I can then attach .mdf files to the database engine on the new computer.

Would that work?

Best regards

Carl

carlbech

• Edited by carlbech Monday, May 28, 2018 6:25 PM
    Monday, May 28, 2018 6:22 PM
  • Hi carbech,

Yes, it is possible.

Please refer to following similar discussion:

Restoring database from .mdf and .ldf files of SQL Server 2008

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang 

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by carlbech Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:49 AM
  • Pirlo, Thanks for the link which I've read with interest. I marked your reply as answer, even though the subject for my question changed from the thread subject

Best regards

Carl

carlbech

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 4:30 PM