Win 8.1 - Welcome Screen - Input Language + Format + Location RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everybody,

with the International Module (https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/hh852115.aspx) inside Powershell i can set Input Language + Format + Location for the currently logged on user.

I am currently searching for a way to automate the copy function as shown in the Picture below where you can simply copy the Settings of the current user to the Welcome Screen and to the System Accounts.
    Control panel > Region and Language Settings > Administrative > Copy settings…

I found a lot of approaches where registry keys are coppied form HKCU to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT but from my point of view this is not really professional.

I believe that there is a way to script the function behind this copy Checkbox.

Thanks for Responses and Greeting

Paddy

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Normally we would use Group Policy to force regional settings.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:21 PM
  • What GPO Settings exactly would you reccommend?
    And are they really affecting the Welcome Screen?

thx

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:25 PM
  • User\Preferences\ControlPanel Seeings\Regional Settings

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion regarding the GPO but that is not exactly what i am looking for - the GPO only does the Settings for the current user.

To make things more clear please have a look at the script i am currently using to set the Regional Settings for the currently logged on user:

#example finland
    Set-Culture fi-fi
    Set-WinSystemLocale fi-fi
    Set-WinHomeLocation -GeoId 77
    Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList fi-fi,en-us -force
    Set-WinUILanguageOverride -Language fi-fi
    Set-Culture fi-fi

So this works fine but i also need those settings for the Welcome Screen as mentioned in my first post.

This has to be possible don't you all agree? :-)

Thanks
    Paddy

Monday, August 24, 2015 9:23 AM
  • Post in Group Policy forum and they will talk you through how to set the machine culture with a GPO.

\computer configuration\policies\administrative templates\control panel\regional and language settings

You can also do it manually like this: http://superuser.com/questions/948660/change-windows-7-8-10-system-language-welcome-screen-login-etc

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, August 24, 2015 1:40 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:36 PM
  • Sorry but this does not solve my Problem.

Anyone else has an Approach to automate this?

Thanks

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:42 PM
  • There are no commands in PowerShell to do what you ask.  You can  do it with GP or manually.  Normally this would be done with a custom setup file during OS installation.

You can try to copy the registry keys to the system account.  This may not be possible as much of the registry for the system account is protected which is why we would need to use GP.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:50 PM
  • First of all - Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012R2 has a different behaviour then Windows 7 - so all Windows 7 guides for this topic do not work.

So basically i am doing the same as described here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6a21b20a-4d04-460a-b672-968de78c6646/command-line-tools-to-completely-change-regioninput-language-for-default-user-and-welcome-screen?forum=winservergen

I wanted to completely script this topic but since Microsoft made it unpossible to do this i had to choose the RegKey-Copy-Way.
    I don't know if it helps but as a Feature Request i would like to have a switch inside the Powershell International Module Commands to apply the Settings not only to the current user but also for the DefaultUser/Welcome Screen.

Thanks

Paddy

• Marked as answer by Paddy-M Friday, August 28, 2015 2:05 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2015 2:05 PM
  • That changes the template for new users.  It does not change the system.

Group Policy will change this correctly.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 28, 2015 2:16 PM