Intermittent keyboard malfunction RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a Dell XPS 13 notebook (i7-5500, 512Gb SSD, touchscreen version), which I updated to Windows 10 about a month ago (August 1st). I installed new Windows 10 drivers from Dell. Since Monday August 31, my keyboard is malfunctioning. All of this coincided, but need of course not be related to Mondays Windows' update. The symptoms are as follows:
    1. The keyboard stops working, none of the keys respond to typing;
    2. The keyboard backlight is suddenly switched on;

A third symptom that may or may not be related is that the colour of the battery light occasionally changes to solid orange (normally indicating a nearly exhausted battery) even when battery is fully charged, and the power adapter is plugged in.

The touchpad, attached mouse, and touchscreen keyboard still work fine. This keyboard problem seems to be intermittent. On reboot things usually work as normal, but after a while the keyboard will start malfunctioning, requiring an annoying reboot.

Needless to say I did run a full system scan (Norton 360) to check for malware, etc. As expected, the test found no problems.

Most likely, the keyboard malfunction is caused by some software problem. Other than getting an awful lot of Service Control Manager, DistributedCOM, and ReadyBoot errors, I can't quite see a pattern.

How do I solve the keyboard issue?

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:58 AM

Answers

• The bad news, I'm afraid, is that the problem does persist in safe boot. Actually, I can only reply now using the touchscreen keyboard (glad I chose that option...)

So, what is the next option? Is there a solution apart from the clean install?

Have you already do the test in Safe Mode and the keyboard was still not working?

If yes, it's most probably the keyboard itself issue. Switch a new one for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:21 AM
  • I did a clean install of windows 8.1, followed by an update to windows 10, and installed the Dell drivers for Windows 10. Unfortunately, my keyboard problem returned. Trying to uninstall the drivers, updating drivers using the Device Manager, or letting window autodetect the keyboard as suggested did not solve the problem. I could not even get an external microsoft (!) keyboard to work on a usb port.

The only solution was to return to windows 8.1, which was extremely difficult without a decently functioning keyboard. Anyway, I eventually got there, so now I'm back to square one.
    I've been using my notebook, running windows 8.1, for the past weeks, and haven't had a single glitch. The keyboard itself isn't the problem, it works fine. Other issues worth noting, compared to windows 10, wifi reception is much better on windows 8.1, and battery life is longer.
    For what its worth, I don't like windows 8.1 as an OS. It's ugly, it doesn't make sense (why would I need apps, when I've programs that do a better job?), but it was stable.

Updating to windows 10 has been a nightmarish experience, over a month of trouble and headaches. A month of time wasted to solving problems, instead of billable hours. For me, it's goodbye windows 10. Goodbye, and maybe see you later - much, much later.
    And if I don't, it's probably because I've migrated to Ubuntu.
    • Marked as answer by Robert-Jeroen Friday, September 25, 2015 1:38 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 1:38 AM

All replies

• Check if the issue is occurring in Safe mode.

Press W + R keys to launch Run menu.

Type in msconfig and hit the Enter Key.

Click Boot tab

Put a tick mark against Safe boot

Click OK or Apply.

If it doesn't happen in Safe mode then try the following:

Open Device Manager > Go to Keyboards > Expand it > Right click on HID Keyboard Device > Uninstall >? Reboot > Let Windows detect the keyboard > Update the driver.

Make sure you have installed all the updates from Windows update.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Friday, September 4, 2015 8:27 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 2:31 AM
  • The bad news, I'm afraid, is that the problem does persist in safe boot. Actually, I can only reply now using the touchscreen keyboard (glad I chose that option...)

Saturday, September 5, 2015 12:26 AM

Have you already do the test in Safe Mode and the keyboard was still not working?

If yes, it's most probably the keyboard itself issue. Switch a new one for test.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 7, 2015 9:21 AM
  • I did a clean install of windows 8.1, followed by an update to windows 10, and installed the Dell drivers for Windows 10. Unfortunately, my keyboard problem returned. Trying to uninstall the drivers, updating drivers using the Device Manager, or letting window autodetect the keyboard as suggested did not solve the problem. I could not even get an external microsoft (!) keyboard to work on a usb port.

The only solution was to return to windows 8.1, which was extremely difficult without a decently functioning keyboard. Anyway, I eventually got there, so now I'm back to square one.
    I've been using my notebook, running windows 8.1, for the past weeks, and haven't had a single glitch. The keyboard itself isn't the problem, it works fine. Other issues worth noting, compared to windows 10, wifi reception is much better on windows 8.1, and battery life is longer.
    For what its worth, I don't like windows 8.1 as an OS. It's ugly, it doesn't make sense (why would I need apps, when I've programs that do a better job?), but it was stable.

Updating to windows 10 has been a nightmarish experience, over a month of trouble and headaches. A month of time wasted to solving problems, instead of billable hours. For me, it's goodbye windows 10. Goodbye, and maybe see you later - much, much later.
    And if I don't, it's probably because I've migrated to Ubuntu.
    • Marked as answer by Robert-Jeroen Friday, September 25, 2015 1:38 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2015 1:38 AM