none
Convert Master Plan to Project Plan RRS feed

Answers

• Dale,

No. If I understand the original post correctly, the user wants a static master with all cross-project links converted to normal predecessors and successors. As I indicated to Jan, the only way to do that is via a macro or manual re-linking.

John

• Marked as answer by Sleekstone Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:04 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:33 AM

All replies

• Mike --

Here's what I would do if it were me:

1.  Create a new blank project.
    2.  Click the Subproject button in the Insert section of the Project ribbon.
    3.  Select a subproject, deselect the "Link to project" option, and then click the Insert button.
    4.  Repeat step #2 for every subproject.

Using the preceding steps will create a stand alone, unlinked version of the original master project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Mike,

Dale's approach works fine if there are no cross project links. However if you want to preserve the cross project links you will need a macro. I have a macro that does exactly what you need but it is not freeware. If you are interested, you can contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:45 PM
  • John --

Thanks for the follow up about cross-project links.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

You make me wonder. I would think (haven't tried it recently) that is you double-click on the inserted project' summary task, and from there uncheck link to project, that cross project links are kept. So not reinsert but unlink the existing insert.

Greetings,

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Jan --

Well, that certainly would be faster!  Thanks for sharing.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for the responses. The macro is probably the best way to go (for a repeatable process). I have tried Jans suggestion. This effectively creates external links to the previous sub projects while change the master plan to a project plan. The plan at this stage is consistent but there is a danger of writing these connections back to the previous subprojects which would be inappropriate, also the purpose of the exercise is to create an integrated plan withot external links. A process to match external predecessors and successors and remove and replace them with internal links seems doable.

rgds

Mike

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Again, I am baffled. Once you have unchecked "link to project" there can no longer be a "writing back to the subprojects" since the link is broken and the master no longer "knows" the addresses of the subprojects.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Sleekstone,

I too agree with Jan, once the link is broken there is not option of writing back. Initial Sub Project and this Master Project (initially linked) are now 2 different copy with no linking to each other.

Sapna S
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Jan,

Several years ago when I wrote the conversion macro (DynamicToStatic) I tried various ways to preserve the links using a simple process as you suggest. Nothing truly divorced the unlinked master from the subprojects. However I haven't tried simple approaches on later versions of Project so I gave your suggestion a try on my sample test file. I happened to use Project 2007 since that is what I had open. Unfortunately when I unlinked each subproject at the master level, the result was a static file with external predecessors and successors still linked back to the original subproject file. Furthermore, when I tried updating one of the cross-project linked tasks, the link did not update to the other task.

So either I missed something in your simple process or the links are not broken between the new static master and each individual subproject. I welcome some enlightenment.

I think the goal was to convert a dynamic master with cross-project links into a static master with all cross-project links converted into normal predecessors and successors. I may be wrong, but I think the only way to do that is with VBA (or a whole lot of manual re-linking)

John

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hi John,

I am deeply sorry. You are absolutely right. I was convinced having seen this but my memory played tricks on me. Mine is not the way to achieve the poster's goals. Very good catch, John.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Jan,

Hey, no problem. My mind is mostly a trick so you see what I have to contend with on a daily basis :-)

John

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Gentlemen --

So, are we back to the solution I proposed initially?  Do you think that will work to resolve the user's problem?  Or maybe that solution combined with John's macro?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Dale,

No. If I understand the original post correctly, the user wants a static master with all cross-project links converted to normal predecessors and successors. As I indicated to Jan, the only way to do that is via a macro or manual re-linking.

John

• Marked as answer by Sleekstone Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:04 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:33 AM
  • All

John is correct. Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:06 PM
  • Is this thread still active? 

If so, I attempted the above solution of converting a master project file to a static master file. I've having issues regarding task calendars. When I unlink the subproject file from the master file the master file re-calibrates the based on the calendars within the master file now being used as the static master file. 

Prior to unlinking the subproject files, I transfered the subproject task calendars to the static master file. I did solve some of my issues, but I'm still having a variance in what is represented in the subproject file within the master file and what is represented in the unlinked subproject file in the static master file. 

Any suggestions?

Cole

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Cole,

In answer to your first question, yes, it can be.

As you found out when working with a master file, subproject tasks will respond to the calendar of the master, if the master is a static master. Your foresight in first moving your custom subproject calendars to the new master file should have taken care of any issues and indeed you indicate it did resolve some issues. So you did the right thing.

You mention you still have a "variance" but it's not clear exactly what that means. Are you saying some start and finish dates do quite match up is it something else that doesn't match up?

In addition to the calendars, did you insure that other file related options were also set appropriately? Some options are set for application level but others are only applicable at project level. You can look at the options and check those that are file unique.

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:07 PM
  • John,

Thanks! Yes I didn't check the options as well. You are correct. I'm seeing a difference in the Start/Finish and duration. It appears to be random. I checked for a common thread like effort driven, type (fixed work, unit, duration), constraints, and deadlines...but no success. 

The static master file appears to be doing a calibration the 'new' file. 

Cole

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Cole,

You're welcome. Hopefully something will show up in the options. If not, I'd start by selecting a particular path in the plan and carefully analyze each task on the path before and after. If resources are assigned don't forget to take their impact into account (e.g. resource calendars).

If after looking at the options and analyzing a path you still can't figure it out, try creating a test version of your construct with just the minimal number of tasks such that you still see the problem. At that point I'd be willing to look at your files.

John

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:52 PM
  • All,

Update on my progress, I've focused my analysis on activities with a date difference in the static master once converted from an  integrated master file in respects to activities with the date difference not being cased by the predecessors of the task. 

Important to note there was no duration difference in the conversion from a integrated file to a static master file on the activities just a move in when it occurred. I've notice a large number of them are off with the time stamp. (Ex. a milestone converted to a one day activity and vice versa). I've looked for a common thread (Effort Driven, Task Calendar, % Complete, Deadlines, and Type) ...yet can't find one. Oh there was no issues in the 'Options' between the program files.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Cole

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 4:43 PM
  • Cole,

Can you create a sample construct as I mentioned in my last post? If so, I'd be willing to take a look at it. You can send the files to me at the address below - as long as the total size of all subproject files is less than 10M (my mail server limit). Be sure to zip them and I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:03 PM
  • My client won't let me. Thanks for offering. I wish I could. 
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Cole,

I understand, at least with respect to the client's live files, but mock up test files that display the issue shouldn't be a problem. Right?

John

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:42 AM