Can't open a file, can only save or cancel RRS feed

• Question

• When I click on a link for a file, like an mp3, rdp, etc. the only options I get are save or cancel.  For example, if I try to connect to a windows azure virtual machine I have to download the RDP file - I can't just click open.  Is this an IE11 issue?  Is it a group policy setting?  Is this something I can fix/change?  Can I have my IT department change something?  This is really frustrating.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am running Windows 8.1 and IE11

Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Where do you download these mp3, rdp files? Could you please provide us with the link for downloading?

Do this problem occurs in all files from all websites?

Have you tried running IE in No Add-on mode?

I recommend you to reset these options.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/reset-opensave-choice-for-internet-explorer-downloads-in-vista/

As for me, some websites may customize the download experience.This can be activated by a new HTTP header called X-Download-Options which can be set to noopen. When that header is passed with a file attachment IE will not provide the option to directly open the file, instead you must first save the file locally and then open it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj542450(v=vs.85).aspx

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by 暁北 Friday, March 21, 2014 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:05 AM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 8:21 AM
  • After some additional testing it was finally determined that the above was not the resolution.  It was the fact that in IE there is an option to "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" under advance settings that our IT department had turned on through group policy.  Turning this option of eliminated the problem.

McP

• Proposed as answer by Colonel Forbin Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:50 PM
  • A problem we had a while back that I was only just revisiting today and found this. Right on the nose. Its not in default with the latest GPO packs by the looks!
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:20 PM
  • After clearing the download list, and rebooting, it's working fine for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:14 PM
  • Best Resolution. Great!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:26 PM