Problem deleting user profiles via registry, what's the different deleting by registry and system properties? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been deleting profiles using the method documented here for over the last 4 years: kb156826

This has never been an issue, as it was an effective way to remove corrupted local profiles. Recently I've noticed changes in the environment where deleting the profile by going to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

To remove all profiles, remove the ProfileList key.

and going toMy Computer or Windows Explorer to remove the appropriate
    Windows\Profiles\<var class="sbody-var">User name</var> folders.
    To remove all profiles, remove the Windows\Profiles folder.

Is now causing an issue where end users are not able to access the registry, enabling screensaver configurations and defaulting the MSN homepage. These settings are usually locked down and greyed out by group policy and the home page is usually our intranet page.

I've found the only way to fix this is to remove the profiles via the System properties method by right clicking on My Computer > Properties > User Profiles > and deleting the corrupted user profiles one by one.

Only this time consuming method appears to let user profiles refresh correctly and reapplies the group policies correctly by locking down components.

My question is, what is the difference between deleting profiles via the 'System Properties' windows as opposed to the 'Registry profile list and C:\users' method?

Friday, October 14, 2016 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi BeeSA,

A user profile describes the desktop computing configuration for a specific user, including the user’s environment and preference settings. Profiles are not user policies and the user has a profile even if you don't use Group Policy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490855.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Usually they have nothing different. We could delete the user profile by two methods. The registry stores all the information about it. After deleting a user profile completely, sometimes we get this event when creating a fresh profile where it stops creating a new profile. Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Then we remove those in registry, log off and log back in. User profile should be created without any issues.
    Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi BeeSA,

A user profile describes the desktop computing configuration for a specific user, including the user’s environment and preference settings. Profiles are not user policies and the user has a profile even if you don't use Group Policy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490855.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Usually they have nothing different. We could delete the user profile by two methods. The registry stores all the information about it. After deleting a user profile completely, sometimes we get this event when creating a fresh profile where it stops creating a new profile. Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

Then we remove those in registry, log off and log back in. User profile should be created without any issues.
    Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Hi BeeSA,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:02 AM