Chrome and Firefox cause focus issues RRS feed

• Question

• When I start either Firefox 53 or Chrome Version 58.0.3029.96 (64-bit), in Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066) windows no longer reliably come to the foreground when selecting them in the taskbar or doing an Alt-Tab; they stay in the background.  Sometimes selecting them multiple times will bring them to the foreground but usually not.

Are there any fixes for this aggravating behavior besides discontinuing the use of Chrome or Firefox?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, May 5, 2017 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Ed Crowley,

Did the issue only occur when we used the specific two applications?

If the issue only occurred when we used the specific applications, we could try to uninstall them and install the latest version. 
    The latest version for Firefox is 53.0.2 and the latest version for Chrome is 60.0.3088.3/.4.

Check the symptom in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Try to test with another account.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:29 AM
  • I removed Firefox and downloaded version 53, the version available from their website, before posting this question.  I only discovered that Chrome caused the same issue later.  The issue will occur when using just Firefox, so I haven't focused on Chrome.

Thank you very much for the clean boot idea.  I think I've narrowed down the culprit, it's "Real Networks", probably the Real Downloader.  I'm going to leave it disabled since I don't need it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed Crowley,

I'd like to confirm about "they stay in the background"?
    Don't they become TopMost (active window) when it is clicked (selected)?
    Doesn't it occur with other software?

Now, I've found the latest version of Chrome and updated.
    It's version 60.0.3080 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Friday, May 5, 2017 5:20 AM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 5:15 AM
  • That's the problem, they don't become "topmost".

The version of Firefox that I'm provided when going to the Mozilla site is the one I've got, 53.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Friday, May 5, 2017 6:52 AM
  • Hi Ed Crowley,

Did the issue only occur when we used the specific two applications?

If the issue only occurred when we used the specific applications, we could try to uninstall them and install the latest version. 
    The latest version for Firefox is 53.0.2 and the latest version for Chrome is 60.0.3088.3/.4.

Check the symptom in a clean boot environment.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Try to test with another account.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:29 AM
  • The only time I have this problem is when I start one or the other of those two browsers.

Both are at the latest version.  I did try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling, it didn't fix anything.

What would I learn by testing in a clean boot?

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:09 PM
  • Hi Ed Crowley,

" I did try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling"
    Have you got the latest version? Have you tried to restart the "Windows Explorer" process when the issue occurred? Are there any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer?

"What would I learn by testing in a clean boot?"
    It would help us to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by a third party service.

Best regards

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 7:23 AM
  • I removed Firefox and downloaded version 53, the version available from their website, before posting this question.  I only discovered that Chrome caused the same issue later.  The issue will occur when using just Firefox, so I haven't focused on Chrome.

Thank you very much for the clean boot idea.  I think I've narrowed down the culprit, it's "Real Networks", probably the Real Downloader.  I'm going to leave it disabled since I don't need it.

Monday, May 15, 2017 3:12 PM