Purpose of this Forum (Server General) *** Please Read Before Posting *** RRS feed

• General discussion

• Welcome to Windows Server General Forum !

This is an English TechNet forum, Please post your queries in English !

Scope:

The name "General" has a very broad significance and sometimes that might lead to some ambiguities.

The scope of this forum is to answer General "Server Administration" related queries pertaining to Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 / R2 and 2012  operating systems.

Again, "Server Administration" has innumerous aspects and at times it becomes bit difficult to categorize them.

We try to answer your questions in General or provide troubleshooting support in depth as and when necessary based on the context of the query.

Questions could be related to AD, GP, Server OS related Queries/issues/errors, general troubleshooting etc… list is too huge and it's highly difficult to elaborate them here :-) 

We understand that this scope and purpose can be a little confusing, we apologize for any confusion.

If you might not know the scope or purpose of this forum, we'll redirect you to read this thread if we need to explain how this forum works.

Out of Scope:

Queries on following (but not limited to…) are Out of scope in this forum.

We might (but do not claim to) answer some of the out of scope questions directly here. If we do, then it's just a Bonus ! and it's not the purpose or in the scope of what this forum provides.

Moving Threads:

It may happen that, your question might have been moved to this forum in an attempt by another moderator from a different forum to help you find the correct forum or we might move your threads to an appropriate forum as and when necessary.

If a community member gave you the URL/link of a specific Technet forum, then you may request a move to that specified forum (If a link to the forum category is specified; you'll still need to pick a specific forum from that category) or thread will be moved to the appropriate forum if a Moderator is around.

NOTE:

We cannot move a thread to another Microsoft forum that's not in the TechNet Forum System such as ASP.net, IIS.net and Answers.Microsoft.com etc… So we can only provide links to those forums.

Marking Answers:

We propose a reply (such as a link about where to go ask your question) to a recent question as an answer, and then we will usually wait one week (~7 days) before we mark it as the answer. We prefer you (the Asker/OP - Original Poster) to mark the answer, but we do not require it if you abandon the thread for a long time.

If you (the Asker/OP - Original Poster) refuse to let us propose and mark an answer (without telling us why and helping us figure out the alternatives/workarounds), then we might need to lock a thread or move it to the Off Topic forum.

Please Read Before Posting:

How to ask a question efficiently in TechNet forum 

We have dedicated Server Forums for different products/technologies, please consider posting your queries in appropriate forum for better help and support.

If you can't figure out where exactly to post your questions, please seek help in "Where is the Forum For...?" forum and you will be given a URL/Link to an appropriate forum where you can post your questions.

Official Microsoft Forum Sites

Credits: 

Ed Price - MSFT (Forum Owner) 

This sticky has been created inspired by the Sticky on Where is the Forum for.. forum.

Regards, Santosh 

MVP - Directory Services

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. 

Blog | Wiki 

If you have issues with your account verification or you can not post images, please get your account verified by posting request in below linked thread.

Verify Your Account 7

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi Santosh,

Thanks for sharing this useful information...,

Thanks & Regards,
    Amit Katkar (MCTS)
    ------------------------------------------------------------ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Santosh

Kirtan

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hello Sir,

Thanks for the wonderful information that you provide, it is very useful for the newbie like me.

Kind regards,

Josh

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:42 PM
  • good info....
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:10 PM
  • Very cool. A "General" beats a "Colonel" any day.

Thanks for describing the Server General forum Santosh.

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:07 PM
  • Santosh did you mean to make it a Sticky?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Very cool. A "General" beats a "Colonel" any day.

Thanks for describing the Server General forum Santosh.

tnjman

You are welcome :-)

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Santosh did you mean to make it a Sticky? 

Yes Dave.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own and posted AS IS.

Friday, October 11, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Something new (or not noticed by me before) then as this thread appears as normal discussion in My Thread view.

Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Something new (or not noticed by me before) then as this thread appears as normal discussion in My Thread view. 

New UI has this functionality i.e. if you reply on a sticky, it will appears as a 'Discussion' in thread view.

Regards, Santosh

Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Good to know and thanks
    Monday, February 3, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Good information, thanks~
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Thanks for this nice post.

I am assuming that, with the passage of time, this forum also covers Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019 issues as well. If so the sticky should be suitable updates. If NOT - then the sticky should be updated to say where we should go for help with newer Server OSs.

Thomas Lee <DoctorDNS@Gmail.Com>

Sunday, October 14, 2018 9:59 AM