none
Building similar reports (see image) in Project Server (how-to?) RRS feed

• Question

• The thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/e02c3b20-66a9-4640-b420-5843d78b1b67/compare-finish-date-with-target-date?forum=projectprofessional2010general) has a report in it 

Are there references (videos/blogs/etc) to build such a report (or similar) ? Is this only possible in 2010 vs 2013? Is this accomplished via PSI/VBA/PowerShell?

Every day I come to this forum and I learn something new, there's so much functionality that I have yet to learn (never ending) and I would like to exploit project server to get a similar report.

Thanks for any and all help - if this needs to be in the programming section please move it

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:36 PM

Answers

• kbwrecker --

I would recommend you purchase the following book from msProjectExperts (co-authored by me):

http://www.msprojectexperts.com/red2013/

This book will show you all of the new features in Microsoft Project 2013, as well as how to use them.  The chapter on the new Dashboard Reports feature documents how to view reports, modify existing reports, and create new reports.  It includes Hands On Exercises so that you can learn the skills by actually using the skills in Microsoft Project 2013. You will also learn how to export a report to another Office application, such as to PowerPoint, for example.

Anyone PM who has Microsoft Project 2013 will automatically have access to the new Dashboard Reports feature, so there is no way to add a button that gives access to only certain users.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:18 PM

All replies

• kbwrecker --

I believe the report shown above is part of the new Dashboard Reports feature in Microsoft Project 2013.  If you have Microsoft Project 2013 Standard or Professional, you will find a new Reports ribbon containing a number of default reports, plus the ability to create your own custom reports as well.  This feature is not available in Microsoft Project 2010, however.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Dale:

Thanks for the quick answer 

Can you (or do you) know where one can go to get more information on how to create/build custom reports similar as the one above - with what users would like?

Can the reports be generated by adding a button to Project Pro 2013 - so only specified users have access to the button ?

Thanks 

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:26 PM
  • kbwrecker --

I would recommend you purchase the following book from msProjectExperts (co-authored by me):

http://www.msprojectexperts.com/red2013/

This book will show you all of the new features in Microsoft Project 2013, as well as how to use them.  The chapter on the new Dashboard Reports feature documents how to view reports, modify existing reports, and create new reports.  It includes Hands On Exercises so that you can learn the skills by actually using the skills in Microsoft Project 2013. You will also learn how to export a report to another Office application, such as to PowerPoint, for example.

Anyone PM who has Microsoft Project 2013 will automatically have access to the new Dashboard Reports feature, so there is no way to add a button that gives access to only certain users.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by kbwrecker Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:30 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2014 2:18 PM
  • Dale:

Thanks - I ordered the book and I'll see what it has to offer.  

Maybe I'll find a reference more for customization as I continue to look around. 

I really appreciate the answer

Thanks again

kbwrecker

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:30 PM
  • kbwrecker --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:53 PM