none
DPM data Protection JOB RRS feed

• Question

• I have drive partition of 5 TB and there around 3.5 data(in form of multiple folders) on this drive I want splits this data into multiple protection group. Right now I did not find any to create multiple protection on single drive. 
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM considers the volume as a single data source, therefore you cannot split protection for subfolders on the volume in separate protection groups.   The only workaround would be to use volume mountpoints and segregate the data on different volumes, then you could have separate protection groups - one for each mountpoint.

In my example below,  Host_Volume (H:) is just a very small ntfs volume that only holds the mount point directories and shares. 

UserShare# is a folder that is shared for user access and is the empty mountpoint folder.   Mounted_Volume# is the underlying volume that holds the users directories and data.  DPM protects the Mounted Volumes.

Host_Volume (H:)
       UserShare1 -->Mounted_Volume1
                              UserDir1
                              UserDir2
                              UserDir3
       UserShare2 -->Mounted_Volume2
                              UserDir4
                              UserDir5
                              UserDir6
       UserShare3-->Mounted_volume3
                              UserDir7
                              UserDir8
                              UserDir9

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:36 PM
  • Hi 

Thanks for your response I need to clarify few things suppose I have folder name "Data" on drive E: and there are three sub folders under this folder, there name is "Admin , HR & Finance. I want to create three different protection group of these folders. can you explain how  can I create mount points and configure backup of these mount points. 

Tanveer_PK

Friday, November 18, 2016 9:47 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the requirement is that the folder hosting the mountpoint must be empty - so you will need to rename the original folders to something different and make new folders with the original names.  Next, you create the new volumes to hold the files.  When you make the new volume, don't assign a drive letter, but instead browse and select the mountpoint folder.

Now you need to copy / move the files from the old renamed folder to the new folders that are hosting the new volumes.  You can use robocopy and make sure you include NTFS permissions.  Alternately, you can restore the protected folder to an alternate location and choose the mountpoint folder.   If you do that, DPM is going to prefix restored folder with a restored_date-time folder, so you will need to "cut" the files and folders and "paste" them back to the root, then delete that bogus restored.. folder.

Now in DPM when you make a new protection group when you click on the Admin, HR and Finance folder they will be displayed as mounted volumes that you can protect each on in a separate protection group. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 18, 2016 10:27 PM