Vista Installation - Stuck on "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....." and black screen with blinking cursor RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I am trying to install Vista Business on a Pentium Dual CPU 1.6Ghz (ASUS P5GC-MX)

It gets through the initial installation OK

(Copying Windows Files OK

Expanding files 100% OK

Installing features OK

Installing updates OK

Completing Installation OK)

It then says "windows needs to restart to continue"

When it reboots, it goes to "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....."

I dont click anything and it just sits there for hours.

So I try to reboot and do it again - this time I pressed a key.. it went through the installation again. The next time it rebooted, I pressed a key - it then just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner.

I try taking the CD out and rebooting but it just goes to the black screen with the cursor.

I checked some forums and enabled all ACPI options (including ver2.0) and tried disabling quick boot.

Im not really computer savvy as you can tell, but am wondering if any one else has had the same problem or has any suggestions to fix it.

Thank you.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 12:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems the error is not related to Vista installation CD, I'd like to suggest you contact for ASUS for more help. Personally, I suspect it maybe a hardware error.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please reboot the machine into the BIOS to see if it automatically detected the HDD, and also  change the boot order to make sure the  HDD is at 1st.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Friday, March 7, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  

Thanks Eric,

I tried this but it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I also tried reinstalling VISTA Business again - it restarts and goes to the same black screen.

If I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL the computer restarts but then just goes to the same black screen.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:14 PM
  • HI,

I’d like to suggest you perform a startup repair of Widows Vista, the following are the detail steps:

1.    In order to start the Windows Recovery Environment you must boot your computer off of the Windows Vista DVD that you purchased or that came with your computer. To start this process, insert the Vista DVD into your DVD drive and turn your computer on.

2.    As you want to boot the computer from the Windows Vista DVD you need to press a key, and any key will do, on your keyboard when you see the above prompt. After you press the key, you should hear your DVD reader spinning up and then you will see a black screen with a white status bar at the bottom stating Windows is loading files.... After a while, the status bar will turn completely white and you will see a screen stating that Windows is loading. The Windows Setup environment will continue to load

3.    Configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly. When done, press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows Vista setup screen where you would normally install Vista on to a computer.

4.    As we want to repair the computer, you should click on the Repair your computer option. This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box

5.    Select the Vista installation you would like to repair and if there are drivers you need to load in order for Vista to access any of your drives or other components , then you should click on the Load Drivers button to load them. When ready, press the Next button to continue. The automatic recovery will search and fix the problem.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:57 AM
  •  

Thanks Eric, I tried a Repair and it came back with "Startup could not detect a problem".

In the View diagnostics and repair details section there are no errors and it says "boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully".

I had a look at the other repair options and cannot do a System Restore or Compelete PC restore as there are no earlier backup points. (probably cos I tried to format it earlier).

I did a Windows memory diagnostic scan and it did not show any errors.

When in in the System Recovery Options I click restart and boot from the Hard-drive..

It beeps once, displays the memory count etc and goes back to the black screen with blinking cursor in the top left corner.

About 3-4 seconds later, the blinking cursor moves down 2 rows and stays there.

If I press any keys nothing happens however if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL it will restart.

I've tried changing monitors and now have a CRT connected to it..the display/sound etc is all built into the motherboard so there are no other adapters.

I even tried booting with no keyboard/mouse/monitor connected incase it was that but still no luck.

Sad

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that you need to perform a re-installation, if the problem still exists, please feel free to post it.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Hi

I tried to re-install Vista.. I formatted the HD too for a clean install.

It still gets stuck on the same spot - when the setup restarts it goes to the black screen with blinking cursor.

I have another computer with the exact same hardware which is running fine and ensured their BIOS settings are the same.

Not sure what else to do..

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Hi,

Which DVD did you use during the installation process? Is it a burnt one with the ISO downloaded from internet?

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:44 AM
  • I used a original Vista Business CD that came with the computer, and also tried another original CD that came with another computer.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Hi,

It seems the error is not related to Vista installation CD, I'd like to suggest you contact for ASUS for more help. Personally, I suspect it maybe a hardware error.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, March 17, 2008 8:04 AM
  • The solution to this problem is here

Monday, June 9, 2008 9:41 AM