none
DPM 2010 Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• what i need is:

1- I create a protection group 1  for exemple Serv1 to protect Data on Disk

2- I need to create a Protection group 2  for the same server "Serv1" on  Tape but i cannot because it is taken on protection group 1, so on

my need is to create a protections groups for system state group, a data group, exchange group, on disk " every one hour" and i need to create a group on tape for the same server once a week, i cannot because it belong to another group,

Is there any way to do that without creating ONE PROTECTION GROUP SHORT TERM USING DISK AND LONG TERM USING  TAPE

I NEED SEPERATE PROTECTIONS GROUPS FROR SEPERATE SERVERS When i can add the same server for example "DATA" on protection group 1 "DISK" Protection group 2 "TAPE"

thank for the reply

• Moved by Paul KeelyMVP Friday, October 29, 2010 12:39 PM its a DPM question in the SCOM forum (From:General)
    Friday, October 29, 2010 11:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Joseph,

I may be misunderstanding your retention goals and if I am I apologize ahead of time.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399028.aspx " By definition, all members of a protection group share recovery goals—that is, all data sources of a type in a protection group must have the same retention range and data loss tolerance. "

"Protection group members cannot be moved between protection groups. If you decide later that a protection group member needs to be in a different protection group, you must remove the member from its protection group and then add it to a different protection group."

Question: What is the harm in creating separate protection group in accordance with your recovery goals? If server A needs to have long term protection to tape for "x" days which is different than the other servers, why not have it in it's own protection group.

Thanks,
    Shane

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:13 PM
  • A single protection group (PG) can and should do both disk (short term) and tape (long term) based backups.  You cannot put the same protected member in more than one PG, although you can protect different members on a single server using multiple PGs.

The only reason to have separate PGs is because you want different short/long term protection goals.  If your protection goals are the same, leave them in a single PG.

Friday, October 29, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hello Shane,

what i need is to protect exchange server short term every 1 hour but for the oracle server once a day and the both once a week on tape so if the tape is taken for oracle protection group i cannot add the exchange server to the tape "because it is reserved for oracle protection group"

may it is clear for you now

thank you for help

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:57 AM
  • Hello ROD

what i need is to protect exchange server short term every 1 hour but for the oracle server once a day and the both once a week on tape so if the tape is taken for oracle protection group i cannot add the exchange server to the tape "because it is reserved for oracle protection group"

may it is clear for you now

thank you for help

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Ah, yes DPM tape outs are done on a PG-by-PG basis.  You cannot share a tape set among multiple PGs.  If your protection goals are what's important here, then just use different tape sets for the different PGs.  At most this will consume 1 more tape than it would if you could share the set between the two PGs.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:36 PM
  • You are able to enable Data colocation so that you can put more than one PG on a tape. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399230.aspx

You should be able to set your short term and long term retention goals on a per PG basis and use a single tape( provided there is enough room on the single tape for that data in both PG's)

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:34 PM
  • thank you
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Thank you

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:14 PM
  • hello,

I have the same issue but I can´t agree with these answers above.

My situation:

Our Fileserver is protected with Group A (Disk and Tape). On the Fileserver there is an Share like Backup (ESXi put Backups on it).

the share ist on drive f:. So I would like to sync Fileserver c:, d:, f: at 8 pm, but f:\backup at 6 am and write everything at 9 am to Tape.

This is not possible with DPM 2010, or? I can't put f:\backup to a second PG

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:04 AM
  • Nexus-dis

No, although DPM shows shares, a volume can only be added to one protection group.

In order to do what you want you will need to move the backup folder to a new volume.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:55 AM