Unable to access User Account after Windows Easy Transfer RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently attempted to migriate my profile and data from my old system running Windows XP Pro to a new system running Windows Vista Home Premium.  While it appears that everything transfered I do not see the transfered profile under >User Accounts>Manage Accounts.  The transfered account does appear under Parental Controls and the profile does appear under System Properties>Advanced>User Profiles.

The profile on the XP Pro machine was a domain account with a roaming profile, none of which are available in the Vista Home Premium edition.  Nor is Local Users and Groups snap-in.

If I attempt to create a user with the same name as the profile that was transfered I receive the following message "A user name can't be longer than 20 characters, consist entirely of periods or spaces, or contain any of these characters: \ / " [ ] : | < > + = ; , ? * @."  The user name is a simple first name, Paul, with no special characters.

Any assistance or ideas?

~Paul
    Monday, November 19, 2007 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Could you log on the Windows Vista using this account?

When a user logs on to Windows Vista for the first time with a v1 roaming profile(the original profile), the entire profile will be ignored and a new v2 profile will be created in the same share, (example:\\<servername\Roam\<username>.v2) and uses it. At logoff, the profile is copied to the central profile server.

If you want to perform an initial migration of settings and data from the v1 profile to the new v2 profile, USMT is the tool to used on Windows Vista. You need to run scanstate on the user's Windows XP workstation to pick up the v1 settings and data, and then use loadstate on the Windows Vista workstation to load it. The following are the details steps:

1.    Collect files and settings from the source XP machine:
    a)    Install USMT on Windows XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=799ab28c-691b-4b36-b7ad-6c604be4c595&displaylang=en

b)    Log on the system with an account with administrative credentials.

c)    Run the “scanstate \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /lTongue Tiedcan.log”(replace\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> with the path you would like to store the configuration file)

2.    Restore to the destination Vista Machine:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=799ab28c-691b-4b36-b7ad-6c604be4c595&displaylang=en

c)    Run “loadstate \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /i:migsys.xml /lac /lae /v:13 /l:load.log ” (replace
    \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> with the path you had set before)

3.    On the DC open the roaming profile path for the User ,delete the directory named by the User name added with “.V2”, for example the User is “ABC” the directory may be “ABC.V2”.

4.    Logon the destination system with the User whose profile has been migrated. Logon off ,and the roaming profile will be write back to the roaming profile path

Hope this helps.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

Could you log on the Windows Vista using this account?

When a user logs on to Windows Vista for the first time with a v1 roaming profile(the original profile), the entire profile will be ignored and a new v2 profile will be created in the same share, (example:\\<servername\Roam\<username>.v2) and uses it. At logoff, the profile is copied to the central profile server.

If you want to perform an initial migration of settings and data from the v1 profile to the new v2 profile, USMT is the tool to used on Windows Vista. You need to run scanstate on the user's Windows XP workstation to pick up the v1 settings and data, and then use loadstate on the Windows Vista workstation to load it. The following are the details steps:

1.    Collect files and settings from the source XP machine:

c)    Run the “scanstate \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /v:13 /lTongue Tiedcan.log”(replace\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> with the path you would like to store the configuration file)

2.    Restore to the destination Vista Machine:

c)    Run “loadstate \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /i:migsys.xml /lac /lae /v:13 /l:load.log ” (replace
    \\FILESERVER\STOREPATH <file:///\\FILESERVER\STOREPATH> with the path you had set before)

3.    On the DC open the roaming profile path for the User ,delete the directory named by the User name added with “.V2”, for example the User is “ABC” the directory may be “ABC.V2”.

4.    Logon the destination system with the User whose profile has been migrated. Logon off ,and the roaming profile will be write back to the roaming profile path

Hope this helps.
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:42 AM
  • Unfortunately no the profile was not available on the log on screen, nor was I able to logon using the profile.

I will attempt your fix when I return from my business trip the beginning of December.  In the mean time I've resorted to reverting my new system to XP Pro as I needed a usable platform without any additionally problems now.

Regards,
    Paul
    Friday, November 23, 2007 2:52 AM
  • Hi Eckespm,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:06 AM