none
The actual work in the project is out of sync with the actual work updated from timesheets. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I see a prompt saying "your action may result in actuals in this project becoming out of sync with the actuals updated from timesheets" when opening a plan using project pro. My settings are : 'Allow task updates only via Tasks & Timesheets' and 'single entry mode' in time & task settings.

I clicked on 'sync to protected actuals' and tried to save the plan. Then i get a pop-up saying "The actual work is out of sync with the actual work updated from timesheets". What does this mean? Will the sync with protected actuals remain after save?

One more issue, when users are trying to submit time sheets, they see actual hours in their time sheets which were not entered by them and when they try to submit by correcting them, MSPS is not allowing it and timesheet status is seen as error. 

What should be done to sync the project with protected actuals?

Bala Bhavana

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bala,

If you are focused on having the track of project and project cost based on actuals, I would suggest using Single Entry Mode, else you would always end up in this situation. Else if the concern is only the plan not the actuals then in that case you can direct the resource to update tasks from time and let the timesheet be populated from the tasks with hours.

Regards, Syed Faizan ur Rehman, CBPM®,PRINCE2®, MCTS

Sunday, July 31, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Bala:

I suggest disabling the option Allow task updates only via Tasks & Timesheets

This is extremely restrictive and difficult to live with unless all of your schedulers are top experts with Microsoft Project. Can yo tell us what version you are using? It sounds like your system may not have been updated recently?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Hi Gary,

We are using Project Server 2010. The issue is not solved and I deleted the project and recreated it. We are using MSPS only for efforts tracking and we do not want the users to update the project status manually.  Now the problem is with the time sheets. The time sheets (2 weeks) reported on the old project are in error state and users are not able to recall/delete those time sheets, they see a green icon after clicking on Recall button and it stays forever. 

I am also facing another issue with the new plan which i posted here

Bala Bhavana

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Disable the option Bala

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 11:52 AM