Outlook / 'Save and Send' MS Word feature malfunction RRS feed

• Question

• This question was originally posted on answers.microsoft.com.  I was informed that it might fit better on this forum.

--

Client computers running Office 2010 (Pro Plus) on our SBS office network are exhibiting some strange behaviors regarding the Save and Send feature:

If the user uses the Save and Send feature, an email with the attachment *is* sent to the correct address, however, the body of the message is completely blank - any message that had been included is lost.
    This behavior only seems to occur if:
    1) the mail account being used to send is an external/POP account (if the message is sent through a local Exchange server account, it behaves as expected)
    2) the mail is in HTML (if the message format is changed to 'plain text', it behaves as expected)

The above problem was first noticed at the end of last week (2012-04-13).  

At first glance, this seemed like it might be a spam filter or similar mail server process stripping content from the emails going through the POP servers, but this began happening suddenly and no changes had been made to the mail servers (to my knowledge).  In addition, if the same message was composed entirely in Outlook manually (via 'attach file', etc) instead of the more-automated 'Save and Send', the message goes through those same mail servers unaltered.  Does Save and Send modify the nature of the message in some way?

Another possibly-related issue is that emails sent in this way are always placed in the local Exchange account's 'sent items' folder in Outlook, even though the POP that was actually used to send it (and I have confirmed that the mail is indeed through the POP account) is set as the default mail account on the machines in question. (this behavior predates the problem described).

I have performed the 'repair office' operation through the control panel, but that did not resolve this issue (I didn't really expect it to since this problem has been noted on multiple machines).  I am unsure how to proceed from here as I have been unable to find any other references to this problem on the 'net.  This is not a critical flaw, but it is a pretty significant inconvenience to some of our staff.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jared Shoemaker
    Web Developer / IT Support
    The AAM Group
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Everyone,

I just got confirmation that there is a problem with the "Save & Send" feature with builds of Outlook (14.0.6117.5001 MSO 14.0.6112.5000) from the update 2553248.  This specific problem results in blank e-mail bodies being sent from Outlook, only when the "Save & Send" feature is used from another Office application.  The only confirmed workaround at this time is to uninstall 2553248.  Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem that will restore the previous functionality.  I do not have a confirmed timeframe yet, but look for it in a future Cumulative Update.

If you believe your issue is different than this one, I would suggest you contact Microsoft support, open a service request & reference this forum posting.

RKeith - [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to view the message in browser, Open message > Actions > View in Browser.

If the message body show up in browser, this occurrence is as design as there are differences in how Outlook (Word) 2010 renders HTML and CSS formatting when compared with Internet Explorer rendering.

Changes in Outlook 2010:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179110.aspx

Web browser support is removed in Outlook 2010. The following related features have also been removed.

- View Web pages within Outlook

- Save as Web Page option for Calendar

- Search the Internet within Outlook

- Navigate to Web pages within Outlook

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 23, 2012 2:29 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I have discovered that it has been happening for the past 2 weeks, but I only realised today when someone copied me into the email.

When we are using Word 2010 to create a document that we want to send as a PDF attachment via email, and so clicking on the "Send as PDF attachment" option, it is losing all of the email body text, regardless of what we type. If we select Plain Text, then the message is received without issue.

Again, we are using a POP account, but the emails sent in this manner end up being placed in the Exchange account's "Sent Items" folder in Outlook, rather than the individual POP folder's sent mail.

If we compose the email from scratch with Outlook (adding an attachment manually), then the whole thing works fine (regardless of HTML format or Plain Text).

Help?

When trying to view the message source in Notepad, the file is blank, so the data is being stripped out rather than merely a rendering problem.

Monday, April 23, 2012 12:25 PM
  • This question was originally posted on answers.microsoft.com.  I was informed that it might fit better on this forum.

--

Client computers running Office 2010 (Pro Plus) on our SBS office network are exhibiting some strange behaviors regarding the Save and Send feature:

If the user uses the Save and Send feature, an email with the attachment *is* sent to the correct address, however, the body of the message is completely blank - any message that had been included is lost.
    This behavior only seems to occur if:
    1) the mail account being used to send is an external/POP account (if the message is sent through a local Exchange server account, it behaves as expected)
    2) the mail is in HTML (if the message format is changed to 'plain text', it behaves as expected)

The above problem was first noticed at the end of last week (2012-04-13).  

At first glance, this seemed like it might be a spam filter or similar mail server process stripping content from the emails going through the POP servers, but this began happening suddenly and no changes had been made to the mail servers (to my knowledge).  In addition, if the same message was composed entirely in Outlook manually (via 'attach file', etc) instead of the more-automated 'Save and Send', the message goes through those same mail servers unaltered.  Does Save and Send modify the nature of the message in some way?

Another possibly-related issue is that emails sent in this way are always placed in the local Exchange account's 'sent items' folder in Outlook, even though the POP that was actually used to send it (and I have confirmed that the mail is indeed through the POP account) is set as the default mail account on the machines in question. (this behavior predates the problem described).

I have performed the 'repair office' operation through the control panel, but that did not resolve this issue (I didn't really expect it to since this problem has been noted on multiple machines).  I am unsure how to proceed from here as I have been unable to find any other references to this problem on the 'net.  This is not a critical flaw, but it is a pretty significant inconvenience to some of our staff.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jared Shoemaker
    Web Developer / IT Support
    The AAM Group
    Exactly the same here to!!! For 2 weeks now. Any solution please?
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:28 AM
  • We have the same issue, all our users have two exchange2007 mailboxes.

Only when they user changes the "FROM" setting (to pick their non default mailbox) the message is sent and saved in the correct sent items without any of the message content (not obvious that this has happened so it is only when the recipient asks why they sent a blank email that we even know it has happened). 

Saving the message as a draft email and then sending works (but I dont think the users will always remember to do that even though they just have to click save and then send).

Using plain text format also seems to work but changing our default to that isnt really an option.

Has anyone tried an unpatched version of outlook/office ? I think ours are all the same with all automatic updates applied, perhaps a recent update has caused this ?

FYI - We have both windows 7 and XP machines with this fault.

Also using RTF as the message format  doesn't help but setting the default format as plain text does stop it.

• Edited by NanoTera Monday, May 14, 2012 1:53 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 1:36 PM
  • I looked at the copy of the email that was sent through our virus / spam filter on the way out of the office and it has no message section, just the attachment ( MIME encoded) and not even a blank Text or HTML message body section.  Sent item is also blank (in exchange server folder).
    Monday, May 14, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Just tried it on an old spare laptop that hadn't been used or updated for a few months (last updated Feb)  and it doesnt have the problem - will try installing updates one by one and testing to see which update causes the problem.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Worked through all the updates one by one and found that the one causing this problem is KB2553248.

Removing that fixes the issue. So now:

Use send/save from word or excel

Choose send as attachment

Change the from account to a secondary mailbox (second exchange account in our situation).

Type a message and then send the email.

After removing KB2553248 the email is sent correctly WITH the message text.

Hope this helps any others who have this issue and look forward to an update that fixes it.

• Proposed as answer by NanoTera Monday, May 21, 2012 1:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by NanoTera Monday, May 21, 2012 1:32 AM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:31 AM
  • I'm having the same issue -  since 14 April 2012. How do you remove an update?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Use control panel, Uninstall Programs and then look for the "View Update History" - that shows them all then remove the one you need to get rid of. Thats windows 7 , similar in XP.

Let us know if it fixes it for you as well (just in case it only worked for me).

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

I just got confirmation that there is a problem with the "Save & Send" feature with builds of Outlook (14.0.6117.5001 MSO 14.0.6112.5000) from the update 2553248.  This specific problem results in blank e-mail bodies being sent from Outlook, only when the "Save & Send" feature is used from another Office application.  The only confirmed workaround at this time is to uninstall 2553248.  Microsoft is working on a fix for this problem that will restore the previous functionality.  I do not have a confirmed timeframe yet, but look for it in a future Cumulative Update.

If you believe your issue is different than this one, I would suggest you contact Microsoft support, open a service request & reference this forum posting.

RKeith - [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:36 PM
  • I just uninstalled KB2553248 on a Windows 7 64 bit system, restarted the machine twice, and the problem persists.  When I switch the "From" field from the primary account to a secondary account after doing a "Save and Send", the body continues to be blank, even after uninstalling KB2553248.  The problem isn't limited to Office applications, but persists from Adobe Reader, Nitro PDF Reader, and other apps as well, and uninstalling KB2553248 doesn't seem to work for all users.  In this case, the problem is limited to only secondary email accounts (of which I have many), and not the default account.  For professional reasons, I can't change the default email account, and I can't use plain text emails. 

One quick "workaround" that DOES work for me:  if you are sending an email from a secondary account, save the email as a draft once your email is complete.  This saves the draft in the "Drafts" box of your PRIMARY email account, regardless of what "From" account has been chosen.  When you re-open the email from the "Drafts" folder of your primary account and send it, it sends perfectly.  A extra few seconds per email, but well worth not losing, in some cases, a half hour of work that went into an email. 

A serious annoyance, and one that Microsoft can ill afford to ignore  An extra 10 seconds a hundred times a day is an extra 15 minutes a day, or 60 hours a year per user affected -- like working a full extra week every year just working around an Outlook "bug", and that doesn't take into account lost time to retype important emails....

• Proposed as answer by Janus3373 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Exact same problem here. In fact, it is also a problem from within Windows Live services, such as Live Photo Gallery. Creating email and bringing in attachment--fine. "send" from withing application----body of email blank.

I use Oulook 2010, Windows 7 64 bit, all updates installed. My email goes out in HTML.
    Problem is more widespread than just Office 2010.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:51 PM
  • Uninstalling 2553248 does in fact seem to fix the problem, at least it did for me. (I have spent hours wrestling with this, so I am not happy with Microsoft).

When will the Microsoft fix come out?

How do we keep new Microsoft updates from re-installing 2553248

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:46 PM
  • It's the same here - 2553248 does NOT appear in the installed updates list, but the written mailbody is removed when sending the email.

A bit hard to explain to my customers why this new feature is great but does not work properly :-(.

Katharina Heizinger Soprani Software www.soprani.at

Friday, November 9, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Same here, I cannot uninstall 2553248 does not appear in the uninstall list. This is because servicepack 1 is installed. blank bodies and sending as a secondary mailbox doesnt work either.

Is it a option to install SP1 and then remove the updates, they will probably appear when sp1 ist uninstalled. But i dunno if that is such a good idea, anyone else tried this?

i'm in the middle of migrating to office 2010 for citrix/ts and this is a hot issue here, since the save and send is used on a daily bases. SP1 didnt resolve it at least :(

btw my outlook build is different then mentioned in previous posts, but it still not functioning build : 14.0.6123.5001
    • Edited by ArjanB Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 9:22 AM