none
Project 2010. The Project Manager. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am using MS Project 2010. In my project I wish to account for my Project Manager who’s time and effort will be divided within tasks and phases, say for example 10% work on multiple tasks.

I have been attempting this by creating tasks within my summary tasks and by setting the “project management” task to be the same duration as all other tasks within each summary and assigning 10% work to effort driven tasks. However I know this is not the correct solution, as my Critical Path will be affected among other things. My question really is how is a Project manager’s time/cost/effort normally assigned?

Please help. Thanks

Friday, July 5, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

the simplest approach is that you estimate the total effort for project management activities for each phase and assign the total work to the one task for the project manager. You can then level the task to make sure that there is enough working time available within this phase.

Although it's technically possible to assign only a percentage I do not do this in my projects since leveling will be hard and you will have side effects as you said, like changing the critical path etc. For that reason I'm also not using Hammock tasks.

Best,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

Friday, July 5, 2013 4:37 PM