DFS-R causing backup issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a few server 2008 sp2 machines that are using DFS-R to replicate a master file share among them. Recently, syncsort backup express was installed for performing backups and is failing. We have a separate dept that handles backup so I am not dealing directly with this but from what I've been told there is an issue due to DFS on these machines. I have not been told of a resolution yet, and was hopeing someone here could shed some light on this for me. What might the issue be? I'm sure there are lots of servers out there using DFS and also performing backups, so how is it supposed to be handled?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:53 PM

Answers

• k, thanks for the info. There are no errors or warnings specific to the backup app in either the system log or the application log. The backup program's log has error info but I have not seen it since our backup department is handling.... its an enterprise setup where they manage all backup clients centrally, I don't even have access to that GUI to see it first hand. Sounds like this is a vender-specific issue, syncsort backup express in this case. I'm still waiting for an update from my backups dept, who I think is waiting for an update from syncsort.

I'll post back anything interesting.

thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:31 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

AFAIK, DFS-R doesn’t have any VSS writer on box, and it shouldn't have any influence on Backup feature, such as Windows Server Backup on box.

Since each software vendors builds their own method to take backups of operation system, to begin with investigating the backup issue, it will be better to contact backup solution vendor for further analyzing the issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Scorprio

MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:56 AM
  • thanks for the reply Scorprio. Yeah, our backup guys are working with the vendor and had just informed me that it had something to do with DFS, so I wanted to put some feelers out here to see if there were any general known issues with backup software and DFS...

thanks again.

anyone else ever encounter backup problems with any backup program, that were DFS related?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Yea, i have machine that's using DFS-R and backupexec to backup, and we have no problem...
    anything in the event viewer that may shine light on what the error might be?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 9:27 PM
  • k, thanks for the info. There are no errors or warnings specific to the backup app in either the system log or the application log. The backup program's log has error info but I have not seen it since our backup department is handling.... its an enterprise setup where they manage all backup clients centrally, I don't even have access to that GUI to see it first hand. Sounds like this is a vender-specific issue, syncsort backup express in this case. I'm still waiting for an update from my backups dept, who I think is waiting for an update from syncsort.

I'll post back anything interesting.

thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:31 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2009 6:12 PM