none
Project/Task Constraints RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if Microsoft Project is capable of calculating the number of work hours necessary for a fixed duration task based on a dollar figure.  Say I have a fixed duration task (4 months) and $500,000 available for that task (street design).  My resources bill out at $60/hr for a technician and $100/hr for an engineer.  My formulas tell me that I have 1344 work hours for an engineer and 4482 work hours for a technician.  I am wondering if Project is capable of using this formula or if I need to do all of these calculations by hand first to populate the task.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Sorry but Project will not do such calculations.

Greetings,

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Thank you.  That's what I assumed but you now confirmed my suspicion.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Cwild,

Jan is correct in that Project will not calculate this by default.  However, when I was the engineering project manager for a civil engineering firm a few years back, we did use custom fields in what we called the project estimator template for something very similar.  It is not any different than calculating it by hand with the exception that you get instant cost info to compare to the budget amount.

Use the custom text, number and cost fields to create your formulas and entering your variable amounts.  Once the work is calculated you transfer that number to the work field.  The one trouble spot that you should be aware of is using information (trying to calculate) from the assignment or resource databases for task information.  Doing this requires macros and VBA programming.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:19 PM