VPN network connection and wizard fails after Vista SP1 ... RRS feed

• Question

• I use Windows Vista to VPN into my corporate network to perform routine daily tasks.  I have a desktop icon link that allows me to connect.  My machine is personal and not corporate managed ... just a "simple" Vista Home Premium edition.

Last night (March 18, 2008) Vista SP1 was pushed to me.  The update was uneventful, but being late I just went to bed after the update.  I did not do anything after the update completed successfully.

Today (March 19, 2008) my VPN desktop link fails with a pop-up dialogue error message "EXPLORER.exe ... 'MyVPNNetName' cannot be found".

So I created another VPN network connection.  The Vista VPN network wizard fails and it does not save the configuration I have built either.  In fact, the wizard does essentially nothing!  So that is very strange.  I have to use an old (heh, well maybe reliable) XP box to manage the same VPN connection.

What is one to do?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:55 AM

Answers

• CONFIRMATION:
    • I never installed a third-party software firewall.  I used what came with Vista Home Premium edition.
    • No third-party VPN solutions were installed.

NOTES:
    • I will refer to two (2) independent Vista SP1 versions for clarity:  SP1 (3/18/08) and SP1 (4/08/08).  They might be the same to you, however, I do not know that.  I do know the "push version dates" appeared (reported by Microsoft Vista update) different to me.
    • Prior to SP1 (3/18/08) I had McAfee VirusScan installed.  I uninstalled it in February '08 - well before SP1 (3/18/08).
    • I subsequently installed AVG 7.5  - again - well before SP1 (3/18/08).

PROBLEM SUMMARY:
    • Following the successful installation of SP1 (3/18/08), my existing VPN tunnels failed.  The VPN network wizard acted funky too, not allowing me to set-up or save a new configuration.
    • I later uninstalled SP1 (3/18/08) and then everything including the VPN tunnels resumed a normal and correct operational behaviour.  I operated like this until I found time to have another shot at the problem.

ATTEMPT #2:  SUCCESS
    • Based on a recommendation from Microsoft, I uninstalled the [AVG] virus checker.
    • Furthermore, I detected some old "bones" (directory & registry entries) from the previous uninstalled McAfee virus checker, so I manually cleansed those out too.  This may not be important, however, this is a detail I executed.  This was no big hardship.
    • I rebooted
    • I successfully installed SP1 (4/08/08) via the Microsoft Vista update mechanism.
    • I tried my same VPN tunnels - they worked!
    • I installed AVG virus checker, updated its database, and rebooted the machine.
    • The VPN tunnels continued to work!
    It is not exactly clear to me where the root cause was, however, there appears to be a relationship (as Microsoft indicated) between security-wares (e.g. virus checkers, 3rd-party firewalls, etc.) existing prior to SP1 installation.  In my case, it may have been linked to AVG and/or McAfee.  There is also the fact that Vista SP1 had two datestamps (3/18/08 & 4/08/08).  I am not sure if that means anything significant.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:01 PM

All replies

• Yes, almost exactly the same experience. I have Vista Ultimate edition and updated to SP1 on Wednesday 19th March. Downloaded and installed with no problems - took about 20 minutes. Everything seemed to work fine until I went to 'Connect to a Network' and tried to connect to a remote office system using the VPN.

VPN would not connect - timed out and Vista offered to try again or diagnose. Diagnose reported no known errors or faults (great!). Removed VPN connection and ran the wizard again. No problem there, allowed to set up and insert IP address, username and password. Again would not connect/

So this SP was beta tested for 6 months. Really - and no one found this? Connecting via VPN is pretty standard stuff.

Same VPN worked fine on Vista pre-SP1 - and works fine on XP.

MS need to sort this and sort it FAST. Are you listening Seattle.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:20 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I use Vista Business, and since installing SP1 yesterday I can no longer connect to our corporate VPN.  It gets as far as "verifying user name and password", then there is an "error 806".

How am I supposed to work now SP1 has broken the VPN functionality??????  I AM NOT HAPPY MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Same problem here - after SP1 all "road warrior" VPN connections fail about 98% of the time.

The ipsec connection is established ok, but the L2TP fails.

If I roll back, magically it all starts working ok again.

Has SSTP broken the L2TP component in the stack?

The "road warriors" are trying to connect to a corporate network running SmoothWall, the VPN section of which is based on OpenSwan I believe, so it's not a Microsoft-to-Microsoft connection but pre-SP1 it all works a dream.

Creating new tunnels on a fresh Vista install with new certificates makes no difference - SP1 breaks it.

Other people with same issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2989384&SiteID=17

Is Microsoft deliberately trying to make life difficult for third party suppliers? We don't all want to run SSL VPNs!

When SP1 is "forced out" in the automatic updates shortly, there is going to be a heck of a lot of flack if this isn't sorted !

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I have the same problem. I used a VPN connection to connect with my university system and it always worked fine with Vista, until SP1 was installed. After that it tries to connect, shows "verifying username and password" for a while, then says that it cannot connect. Diagnose problem says there is no problem.

I really hope Microsoft will fix this SOON! This sucks. For now I will undo the SP1 installation.

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Voila... just uninstalled SP1 and the VPN connection works fine again..... now let's see when Microsoft fixes this bug.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Hello – I am a part of the Windows Vista SP1 Development team at Microsoft. We’re sorry you are not having a good experience with Windows Vista SP1. We would like  make you aware that Windows Vista customers are entitled to no-fee support for issues that relate to the SP1 update from Microsoft Help & Support.  Microsoft Help & Support provides you with email, chat, or telephone support where you can talk to a Microsoft Support Agent to assist in troubleshooting your installation issue.  Please click on this link and open up a case with our product support services teams: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921 . Thank you for taking the time and we look forward to hearing from you.  

Saturday, March 22, 2008 6:34 PM
  • When using the link provided by Kalpesh (above), is anyone else getting this error repeatedly? ...

"An unknown application error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes."

I get this whether I post an email using Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 (on Vista), or FireFox 2.0.0.12 (on Vista).

Ref. link:  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:05 PM
  • I followed the link and was able to establish a chat session.

After about an hour I was informed that it was a known problem and Level 3 support was working on it.

It was suggested that I back out SP1 and re-install it when the problems were fixed --- ??

Saturday, March 22, 2008 9:17 PM
  • The issue was reported to MS during Beta testing. But regardless, the net is full of forums with people complaining about the VPN issue, still no fixes. It is taking way too long. Unfortunately I don't have a solution to offer other than don't install SP1 until it is fixed. For me, I can't even do this as my machine came pre-ploaded with SP1.

Impossible to get support from Microsoft. Same "Unknown application error has occured, try in a few minutes", regardless of browser or even OS. Tried with a Ubuntu box, same thing.

Doe anyone know if there is a 3rd party free VPN client that could fix this?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Hi All,

I had a similar problem to most people above and have successfully received help from Microsoft at the link above to fix it.  Here are the details that may be able to help some people:

ISSUE:

- VPN connection was working fine on Windows Vista (using standard Windows VPN, not third party software).

- Installed SP1 and VPN connection stopped working.

- When trying to connect it would sit at "Verifying username and password" for about 15 secs then time out and would display the window to "Try again" or "Diagnose".

Looking at the Application Log in Event Viewer it would show that the connection was being established successfully, but then it would terminate immediately with error 829.

SOLUTION:

- I run third party firewall software (ZoneAlarm)

- I would shut this down before attempting my VPN connection in case it interfered with it, however I was still having the issue above.

- After trying some other fixes that didn't work the Microsoft Tech support guy said that the installation of SP1 can sometimes corrupt the components of Third Party firewall software.

- As soon as I fully uninstalled ZoneAlarm and rebooted my laptop my VPN connection started working again.

- I'm guessing that I can now reinstall ZoneAlarm again and everything should keep working but I haven't tried yet.

So if anyone is running a thrid party firewall maybe try uninstalling it and see if that helps?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Hi Brad

Thanks for posting this solution.

Please post back to this thread and let us know if the VPN connection still works when you reinstall Zone Alarm.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Hi, useful post. Trawling through the system tonight I came to the same conclusions. I use Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro - setting this to DISABLED allowed the VPN to connect. When running in normal mode it would not.

I uninstalled the application and then re-installed - no difference. It seems that there is an issue between SP1 and the firewall.

OK, so I have a work around but only by disabling the protection of the firewall.

Investigating further.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:50 PM
  • Hi Brad,

your suggestion may solve this issue for those with third-party client VPN software, but the problem is still there with a native Vista SP1 L2TP VPN client stack without any third-party software there.

A little bit of digging around on some other groups suggests it may be some "extra" Microsoft-specific data that is now being passed as part of the L2TP negotiation, and that is crashing the server-end L2TP daemon processes on a wide variety of corporate VPN boxes (mainly unix).

If I find out anything useful, I'll post it here.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:59 PM
  • I use ZoneAlarm firewall, so after reading Brad's post I reinstalled it.  Unfortunately that does not fix the VPN problem...........
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:11 PM
  • I've decided not to keep using ZoneAlarm.  But after reading the posts above I thought I'd install it one more time to see what happened... and it isn't good.

As soon as I reinstalled ZoneAlarm the VPN connection stopped working again with the same problem.  Even if I shut down ZoneAlarm before trying to establish the connection it would still fail.  As soon as I uninstalled it again all was fine with my VPN.

I'm not going to troubleshoot this any further as I'm not going to use ZoneAlarm... but for those of you who do (and have the same problem as me), you may want to raise this issue with the ZoneAlarm people.  Obviously some component that is installed with ZoneAlarm is causing problems with the in built VPN software.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:05 PM
  • I also am a Zonealarm user and have tried to uninstall / re-install the product. Same results, works without Zonealarm, does not with. This may not be a solution for L2TP VPN's but it is a solution for MS VPN's at least.

I have found that:

McAfee Host Intrustion Protection (Enterprise grade firewall) gives the same results as Zonealarm.

Comodo Firewall - free - (www.comodo.com) works

McAfee Security Centre 2008 - commercial - works

Friday, March 28, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Thanks for the extra ZoneAlarm testing Brad & c98.  I have uninstalled ZoneAlarm again and you're spot on - my VPN now works.  I'm not happy to just use the Vista firewall, so will have to investigate alternative firewalls now.

Thanks again guys.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 4:05 AM
  • In my case, uninstalling Kaspersky Anti-Virus v6 solved the problem with Vista SP1.
    Friday, March 28, 2008 12:11 PM
  • Interesting - Microsoft Support just called by phone to ask if the problem was resolved.

No it isn't - the problem lies with the SP1 upgrade - there was no problem before and there is no problem with XP. The issue appears to be with the SP1 upgrade and the firewall (which is also on the XP machines and was on Vista before SP1).

OK - went away to think  and then advised that this would have to be referred to Pro support at a cost of 250.

<rant>
    Excuse me? This is YOUR software and YOUR upgrade that has caused the problem. There is plenty of evidence that this issue was around during Beta testing. It is YOUR problem and down to YOU to resolve.

No go away and FIX it.
    </rant>

Peter

Friday, April 4, 2008 9:48 AM
  •  Martin Latteier wrote:
    In my case, uninstalling Kaspersky Anti-Virus v6 solved the problem with Vista SP1.

OK - I've uninstalled ZA firewall for good -- for the VPN reason and several others.  I will stick with the MS Vista firewall for now.  The VPN capability is a routinely used requirement.

I do want to run reliable Virus protection software though and was going to install kapersky until I read the above post.

Is anyone successfully running virus protection software and using VPN at the same time(post SP1 install) -- if so, what Virus protection software works?

thanks in advance.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I've had the same problem, but was getting error 828.

I tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm. When I rebooted my VPN connection would work again.

I then tried reinstalling ZoneAlarm - VPN stopped working, so I disabled ZA from the system tray menu - still my VPN did not work, so I then stopped ZoneAlarm from loading and rebooted and still it did not work.

It seems that EVEN having it INSTALLED stops the VPN from working as soon as you install SP1.

This confirms rumors I'd heard previously.

The ZA forums have lots about this issue too, but no resolutions. I can only suggest either:

Uninstall ZA and use another firewall (Windows firewall !?!)

Uninstall SP1

- Not really very good options and very disappointing in terms of the quality of software included in SP1.

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:18 AM
  • There is no doubt that, even disabled, ZA breaks the VPN in SP1. However, ZA is not just any software. A product like this has to interact with the OS at a very low level. Though most in this thread are blaming Microsoft, I wonder if the Checkpoint folks attempted to test their software against the beta versions of SP1. MS is said initially to have stonewalled some firewall vendors, ostensibly because the security of Vista is so dear to them, but probably also to give OneCare (a "lite" product if there ever was one) a shot in the marketplace. Recently, however, the buzz is that MS would have worked with Checkpoint if Checkpoint tried.

ZA has a strong history as a great product. I have six licenses that are currently going unused because of the SP1 issue, though. The functionality is slipping, the compatibility is worse, and the updates are less frequent since the Checkpoint acquisition. This is a rare case in which Microsoft might not actually be at fault. CA's suite works with Vista SP1. Actually, I'm using OneCare right now and, if you turn off as many of the "helpful" newbie features as possible, it does an okay job. ZA would be better if Checkpoint put the resources in to get it back to what it once was.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Latest update from me - I received an as-yet-unreleased patch from SmoothWall which replaced the l2tpd daemon and this now copes with Vista SP1 connections without falling over. SmoothWall say their official patch is due to be released imminently.

Whether it's Microsoft's fault or not, SmoothWall at least have recognised that they'll have issues if they don't provide a patch. As anyone with any version of Vista, or indeed any third party product, could attempt to connect to SmoothWall's firewall product, they need to accommodate all possibilities without their product "breaking".

For those interested in technical details, here is some more info (from Nigel Smith's blog at http://nwsmith.blogspot.com/) which traces the problem more thoroughly...

Using tcpdump, I captured the packets arriving at Smoothwall on UDP port 1701, and then examined the capture file using WireShark. The problem seems to occur on the ICRQ packet, which is the 'Incomming Call Request', transmitted by the Windows client to the Smoothwall server.

For Windows XP clients, we see the following AVP's (Attribute Value pair):

'Control Message', 'Assigned Session', 'Call Serial Number' and 'Bearer Type'.

For the Windows Vista SP1 client, there was an extra AVP tagged onto the end. This is a 'Vendor-Specific' AVP of 'Type 1', specifying a 'Vendor ID' of 311 (0x0137), meaning 'Microsoft'.

So what is this extra Microsoft AVP? A quick google finds a Cisco document, implying it may be a related to RADIUS. It talks about Vendor-Specific Attributes (VSAs). Table 36 lists Vendor-Specific RADIUS IETF Attributes with Vendor company code 311 and Sub-type 1 which is a "MSCHAP-Response" attribute.

Ok, so it seems the version of l2tpd we are using does not like the presence of this extra AVP, and mistakes it for a 'Result Code' AVP, which should only be present in CDN and StopCCN messages.

The relavent RFC is: RFC2261 - "Layer Two Tunneling Protocol".

Looking at the top of page 50 of the RFC, for an ICRQ, it lists the AVPs that MUST be present, and the AVPs that MAY be present. This would seem to indicate that a vendor specific AVP is NOT valid at this stage.

Looking at page 12 of the RFC, section 4.1, which details the format of the AVP, implies that the problem could be fixed if l2tpd were to look at the 'Vendor ID' field, and ignore the AVP in the ICRQ where the Vendor ID was non zero.

Looking at the code for l2tpd, in the file "avp.c" and in function "handle_avps()" there is no code that checks to confirm that (avp->vendorid) is zero.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:05 AM
  • howdy folks,

I've got the same problem only that I don't use any third party security software on my VISTA Buisness Machine. After I installed SP1 all my VPN connections were gone and I can't create new vpn connections, because the wizard just exits and doesn't create the connection. I already uninstalled SP1, but that didn't help either. Since I work for a consultancy company and I have many VPN connections for all my customers I will probably reinstall the machine from scratch.

This problem has been around for so long. Why doesn't MS provide a fix for it by now? If I would not solve a problem for my customer over such a long period being  a MS Gold Partner in Germany our reputation would for sure suffer a lot.

If I find out anything in the meantime before I setup my machine from scratch, I'll let you know.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Microsoft's Vista SP1 release has a new datestamp of "4/08/08".  Has anyone tried it to determine if the VPN (non-third party) problem has [magically] "gone away"?

Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:42 AM
  • I had the same problem with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, but installed Norton Internet Security on April 13.  The VPN worked fine with the Norton firewall.  I haven't tried ZoneAlarm again, so I don't know whether the problem was fixed or I was just lucky with Norton.  Also, I did check the ZoneAlarm User Forum today and ZoneLabs is working on the fix.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:04 PM
  • I've installed SP1 All Language Standalone (wave1)  yesterday and probem is not fixed Sad
    I can't create outgoing VPN connection. It doesn't even appears in connection list when just saving it Sad.
    I have Eset Smart Security 3.0.650
    Friday, April 18, 2008 12:23 PM
  • Hallelujah! I had the same problem - my XP machine connects fine to my company's VPN, while my Vista laptop just would NOT authenticate. This was driving me nuts. Even my sysadmin had no idea what was wrong. I was all set to have him check out all the VPN sever settings and make sure they were Vista-compatible. This after I'd fiddled with just about everything I could on my laptop (including shutting down ZA).

Uninstalled ZoneAlarm  and the VPN connected right up.

Thanks so much for your posts, Brad.

Jeff

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:11 AM
  • All 3rd party FW has issue, not only Zone Alarm.

Microsoft as usual never thinks "longer" than their nose... Unbelievable!!!!!

Vista is OK, but I think at Microsoft they forgot to turn the brain on that day they started to work to SP1

Regards

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:03 AM
  •  

All 3rd party FW has same issue not only ZAP.

At Microsoft they just forgot to turn on the brain, the day they started to work to SP1.

Drivers issue, VPN issue, things are worse than without SP1, which should have beed an improvement!!

Amateurs!

Regards 

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:05 AM
  • CONFIRMATION:
    • I never installed a third-party software firewall.  I used what came with Vista Home Premium edition.
    • No third-party VPN solutions were installed.

NOTES:
    • I will refer to two (2) independent Vista SP1 versions for clarity:  SP1 (3/18/08) and SP1 (4/08/08).  They might be the same to you, however, I do not know that.  I do know the "push version dates" appeared (reported by Microsoft Vista update) different to me.
    • Prior to SP1 (3/18/08) I had McAfee VirusScan installed.  I uninstalled it in February '08 - well before SP1 (3/18/08).
    • I subsequently installed AVG 7.5  - again - well before SP1 (3/18/08).

PROBLEM SUMMARY:
    • Following the successful installation of SP1 (3/18/08), my existing VPN tunnels failed.  The VPN network wizard acted funky too, not allowing me to set-up or save a new configuration.
    • I later uninstalled SP1 (3/18/08) and then everything including the VPN tunnels resumed a normal and correct operational behaviour.  I operated like this until I found time to have another shot at the problem.

ATTEMPT #2:  SUCCESS
    • Based on a recommendation from Microsoft, I uninstalled the [AVG] virus checker.
    • Furthermore, I detected some old "bones" (directory & registry entries) from the previous uninstalled McAfee virus checker, so I manually cleansed those out too.  This may not be important, however, this is a detail I executed.  This was no big hardship.
    • I rebooted
    • I successfully installed SP1 (4/08/08) via the Microsoft Vista update mechanism.
    • I tried my same VPN tunnels - they worked!
    • I installed AVG virus checker, updated its database, and rebooted the machine.
    • The VPN tunnels continued to work!
    It is not exactly clear to me where the root cause was, however, there appears to be a relationship (as Microsoft indicated) between security-wares (e.g. virus checkers, 3rd-party firewalls, etc.) existing prior to SP1 installation.  In my case, it may have been linked to AVG and/or McAfee.  There is also the fact that Vista SP1 had two datestamps (3/18/08 & 4/08/08).  I am not sure if that means anything significant.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:01 PM
  • For what it is worth, I have also recently installed both service pack one for vista enterprise and server 2008 and have not encountered a problem with VPN. 

I have a Vostro Laptop that travels with me frequently that is currently running server 2008 with hyper-v sessions of both vista 32bit Sp1 and XP Sp3 and I am able to use any of those to VPN into my company's network when I have needed to.  The laptop had vista 32bit before server 2008 and after installing Sp1 I was still able to VPN without trouble.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:03 AM
  • Well lucky you!

I do not use any third party VPN, but the one in Vista.

I had no problem before installing SP1 from here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936330 in danish.

Now the only way to connect the same way, it is to completely uninstall Zone Alarm, because AVG has no impact.

Comodo FW could not be used either, so all other 3rd party FW I suppose.

So the issue is not what I/we did, but what SP1 did, as my PC configuration has not been modified except SP1.

You tell me? is it my PC or is it SP1?

Reag google and you can see I am not alone.

Regards

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:20 AM
  • For us, Vista was an OEM installation on a virgin machine.  Prior to SP1 no VPN issues were experienced.  MS could have "broke" something (obviously unintentionally), or the communication between 3rd-party vendors and the SP1 team could have been improved?  It is not obvious, and I doubt anyone will admit total fault.  In regards to your PC, I doubt it was the issue.  Some forum members expressed they had no problems.  That is probably so, however, their circumstances - or some sort of "order of events" was fortunate enough to be the exception.  From what I gather, their are many individuals who have unexpectedly encountered this problem and that is all that matters.

There are other SP1 issues tied to hardware (drivers).  That is tough.  Thankfully, this issue is not.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:47 PM
  • For the people that are trying to create connections which just disappear (never mind they don't connect), I had the same problem after installing SP1, but also noticed the event log service refused to start. I found a solution for that here - http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?pageindex=0&siteid=1&postid=1280359&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1

Installing the subinacl program sorted out some authority settings that SP1 had made a mess of.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:33 PM
  • "For us, Vista was an OEM installation on a virgin machine.  Prior to SP1 no VPN issues were experienced."

Exactly the same situation as I found. There were (are) third party anti-virus and firewall applications running - in this case CA EZ-AV and Agnitum Outpost. All worked correctly with the initial (Dell OEM) version of Vista Ultimate. Connection via MS Network Connection VPN to remote office was fine.

With SP1 installed the Network Connection VPN link is flakey - to put it mildly.

This IS an issue associated with the SP1 upgrade. It appears to have been known before the upgrade having been identified during Beta testing.

Can someone from Microsoft now advise actions being taken and likely timescale for a fix.

At this time SP1 must be considered unfit for purpose

Over to you Microsoft. Time to support your customers.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:29 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem.  Ever since loading in SP1 with my Vista Ultimate.  I use Forticlient V3.0.537.

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:52 PM
  • I hav same problem.after installing SP1 none of my VPN connection work.Even when i turn the firewall of still it dnt work. im so angry about it and i dnt know what shall i do..

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 10:20 AM
  •  Jasclar wrote:

I received an as-yet-unreleased patch from SmoothWall which replaced the l2tpd daemon and this now copes with Vista SP1 connections without falling over

Hi Jasclar,

How did you go about getting this patch from SmoothWall? I looked all over their site and didn't find anything. :-(

Anywhere I could get that from? How did you get yours?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:13 PM
  • I am having a similar but not exactly identical problem.

1.) I did have Kaspersky installed
    2.) I did NOT have SP1 installed

When I try to create a new VPN connection, the wizard appears to work (although it behaves differently from another Vista machine I have), but when it gets to the final step, it fails immediately.

• If I press the "try again" button, it sits continuously saying it is trying to connect but will do this forever.
    • If I press "diagnose," it does nothing.
    • If I press "save these settings for later" it exits and does not save anything.
    So I tried uninstalling Kaspersky.  No change.

So I tried installing SP1.  No change.

Notably, the other machine that I have that VPN works on does not have SP1 or even most windows updates installed (because of a bug in the windows update mechanism).

I am nearing my wit's end here.  Could someone shed some light on this so I can create a VPN connection or even hack the registry to fake it?

I really don't want to re-install Windows, but I will if that's what it will take.

Thursday, May 8, 2008 2:14 AM
  • I have the same problem with SP1 & zonealarm. I have reported the problem and suggest everyone else does to get some momentum behind it.

The (currently free) support site is here: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274

Saturday, May 10, 2008 10:45 AM
  • The support is not "free." I've tried it. If you are running a home network (workgroup) they tell you that you have to call some other 800 # to get support. Then they can't even tell you what the hours of the support center is. They tell you to call another 800 # to get hours of support. So much of your precious time is wasted trying to get support. My time isn't free. If you are running a domain it's not free - they will charge.

Good luck to those who try.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Contact me at jasclar at gmail dot com and I'll send you a patched l2tpd file for smoothwall.

It is not perfect - the VPN status no longer shows correctly in the System Services information section, just in the Tunnel section - but it lets you connect in ok and doesn't abend if a Vista SP1

Regards

Jasclar

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:58 PM
  • I tried SP1 from a slipstreamed install disk, with the firewall turned off and NO security software installed yet and still couldn't get into my Checkpoint Safe@Office firewall with just the Windows VPN connection set up.  This works fine on Vista with no SP and XP (all service packs).  It's really irritating since I have users that want to be on Vista and that I'd like use it just to test it with some of our software, but if I can't work remotely then I'm screwed.  Anyone have any ideas?
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:37 PM
  • 1. Possible fix for some of you:
    Problem:  I run Outpost Security Suite 2008, on my Vista laptop, and could not VPN in to a Win2003 server. I would have to connect to a wireless network then create a VPN to access the internet (My ISPs idea of providing internet, They really suck). When I wen Vista I could no longer VPN in.

Solution: I found that if I created a special rule allowing GRE (Genertic routing encapsulation) on port 47 to the server, I would be able to connect.

2. Now on to my current VPN problem (maybe someone can help with it):
    I have verified this has nothing to do with my outpost security suite, and 2 of us on our ISPs network have this problem (The only 2 vista computers on their network). When we first boot up, connect to the wireless network, and vpn in it works fine, BUT if the computer has been on a while we have to reboot in order to create a VPN.  we have also recreated this problem on a clean vista install with no security software installes, any ideas?
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Hi all!

I had the same problem, and I must admit I was extremely happy today to have found a solution from MS.

Just to make sure you are experiencing the same problem as I was: Standard installation of Vista. Installed SP1. VPN stops working with message "Failed to connect" and event ID 20227 "The user xxxx\xxxx dialed a connection....". I tried to turn of the firewall, virus scanner, etc but the problem still exsisted.

So the solution is: "VPN WAN miniport is corrupted or not present." !? For a complete description see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953795

The short version to fix this is as follows:

"1. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories and click "Command Prompt".

2. In the Command prompt, type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each one.

Netcfg -u MS_L2TP
    Netcfg -u MS_PPTP
    Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP
    Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP

NOTE: When prompted by User Account Control, click Continue. "

Good luck, and hopefully I can stop some production of grey hair. ;o)

Best regards

Morten Yndesdal

MCT

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:32 PM
  • I uninstalled ZA long ago & am currently using another product (COMODO) that works flawlessly with SP1 & VPN. I'm hearing fingers being pointed both ways for this ZA issue. Whose at fault, MS or ZA? If MS, how could they have a targeted problem with one product, i.e. ZA?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Well, here was teh quickest fix I found..

Disable 'Event Log Viewer'

Dont ask me why it worked, it just does....
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 3:21 PM
  • I got my VPN connection to work by going to Properties | Security | Settings (adjacent to Advanced custom settings selection).  
    Then change the selection in the Data encryption drop down to "No encryption allowed".
    • Proposed as answer by Serpent11 Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:06 AM
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:53 AM

• SEEMS THE ISSUE IS FIXED:

After installing SP1:

1. Uninstall old  zone alarm.
      (Vpn started to work.)
    2. Install new zone alarm from the server.
      (Vpn still works.)

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 7:08 AM