none
PS 2007: What happens in AD Resource Pool Sync if I delete the default "Team Members" group? RRS feed

• Question

• When we initially setup PS I was advised not to delete or modify the default security groups, so I renamed them all (e.g. "xDefault_Team Member".  My new team member group is "Company Team Member"

Recently I enabled AD resource pool sync with a group, let's call it "Company Resource Pool"

If a user is added to the Company Resource Pool AD group who does not have a PS account, the behavior of the AD sync is such that it creates a new user and adds them to the original default "xDefault_Team Member" group.

The problem is that this gives people permissions they shouldn't have and adds them to a group they shouldn't be in. 

This wouldn't be a problem if I were the only one adding people to the PS AD groups, but unfortunately a lot of times when IT sets up a new user they clone someone else's account and I end up with random new users on PS.

So, this is a long-winded way of asking...what would happen if I just deleted the default Team Member group?  Would it cause issues with the sync or would it do what I wanted and create the user but not add them to any security groups so they wouldn't have any access?

Terrie T - MCTS - PMP - MBA****PMO & Project Server Admin
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:21 PM

All replies

• The rule of thumb is not to remove the original groups and rename them like you have done. It's just a best practice and point of reference and not a requirement.

If you don't need the default TEAM group and your "Company Team Member" is working, then delete the default TEAM.  It just needs to be tested carefully, before replicating to production.

After you test, update this thread and let us know if you had any issues.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:35 PM