Using Hub Transport instead of Edge Transport Server

Question

• Hi All,

Is it possible to replace the Edge Transport Server with Hub Transport server in the internal network ?    

If this configuration is possible!

What ports do the Hub Transport use to route the messages and communicate with the internet?

I havent see any documentation which discusses the Hub Transport Server being used in a simple Exchange configuration.

Thanks in Advance.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 3:23 PM

All replies

• I'm also looking for this kind of information. As it seems, Edge Transport Role is a must, however this division of roles across physical hardware is troubling. Will we need two or more machines now or will it be possible to run in Virtual Server for instance Edge Transport Role (on the same machine)?

Also will it be possible to divert all mail to an existing E2K3 server in the domain and have it accept all mail and then forward it to E2K7 Hub Transport and Mailbox server?

There is also some inaccurate information about AV and antispam. Is the Edge Transport server the only one to install these apps on or will it be possible to install them on Hub Transport too?

Thank you for answers

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 3:40 PM
  •  

I can address one of these questions, regarding antivirus.

The Forefront Security for Exchange Server antivirus software can be installed on Edge, Hub or Mailbox/Public Folder servers.  It will auto-detect the role(s) on the server and install accordingly.  I can't speak for what roles other AV vendors will support.

You can  install Forefront on all these roles, by the way.  The system uses the AV transport stamp to not do needless rescanning of mails. One simple example: if inbound mail is scanned at the Edge role, we do not re-scan it as it routes through Hub servers or when it hits the Mailbox, thereby saving a lot of scanning overhead.  There are many other possible scenarios of course.  

Regards,

Peter Eicher
    Microsoft Forefront Product Manager

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 4:26 PM
  • Edge is designed and suppose to be on a permiter network, not connected to the internal AD.
    Hub is on the internal network on a memberserver in AD.
    transport between them is SMTP on port 25.
    Edge is optional.
    If you are in a smaller installation you can configure Hub server to do the antispam filtering. you need to install the antispamagents, this is done the Exchange Management Shell script "install-antispamagents.msh".

/Lasse

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:23 PM