Error COde 80072efe RRS feed

• Question

• Alright i keep getting this error when i try to update windows ive replaced my ethernet cord ive shut down my Norton inernet security and i have tryed this

Step 1: Check background programs.

=======================

Disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection. The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site and I suggest you remove or disable them:

McAfee firewall

Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm Firewall

Panda firewall

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder

=======================

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

None of it is working does anyone else have a solution to this problem???????

Thursday, April 8, 2010 11:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I had the same error recently and couldn't update windows. Having trawled through all the forums I eventually went looking for a virus on the computer and found one, (Alureon.G).

This had infected the atapi.sys file.

I used the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool to get rid of it and -hey presto- the windows update worked again.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:41 PM
  • I have norton and i ran it but it didnt find any virus on the computer Im also having a problem installing this web cam i got says it couldnt find the driver but i have the disk and everything. I think its cause of the problem of not getting the update
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:40 PM
  • ssj4,

If you still have this problem, then try running the fast and easy tdssrootkill tool in this thread (abuadnan's post).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaie/thread/0ce7c1e6-7ef2-48e1-b7c9-c8f1e97c71d5

Here is the direct link.....

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

It gets rid of a nasty trojan that many virus detectors dont detect.   The trojan causes more problems than just not being able to get updates.

Read the comments of the happy campers in that thread (bottom half) who ran that great program - its free and only takes 5 min. 

Spread the word if it worked for you too.   This is not getting the credit it deserves, and the result of that is alot of wasted time going around the problem through complex windows settings that dont remedy the trojan.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:47 AM