Switch User - Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Gentlemen,

I came across new challenge with windows 7 switch user option. In my organization, switch user is enabled to allow multiple user logins with domain Ids. People in my organization doesn't have fixed seats allocated so they keep moving themselves on free machines and logins. Now problem is , in single machine more than two people work using switch user & which makes system slowness (when multiple users are logged in by switching the user account). 

What my management is expecting me to configure either GPO or any script to restrict switch user option will be limited to only two users per machine (for example, if two people are already logged in in a particular machine, it should not allow the third person to login).

I searched on Google, gone through some MS forums but didn't helped me.

Is this possible, either through group policy or through any VB/powershell script ? It will help me lot.

Already wasted 3 days by searching on web, please help me out.

Anil Suthar

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Anil Suthar,

According to your description, I searched and tested myself. Unfortunately there is no direct setting can be used in group policy. In order to save resource and keep good computer performance, we could try these workaround to achieve a similar effect.

1. Press “Win + R” and type “gpedit.msc” in the search box. Click the following setting: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon, in the right pane please enable “Hide entry points for Fast User Switching”.

2. We could automatically log off idle users. It could help us reduce user switch to promote computer performance. Setting steps in the link below:

https://4sysops.com/archives/automatically-log-off-idle-users-in-windows/

Please Note:  This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Friday, March 11, 2016 9:51 AM