Exchange 2007 Invisible/Missing Email RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone could explain what is happening, as I have a client who wants some answers to why it’s happening. And it seems it is only affecting 1 User throughout the company (let’s call him Peter).

Server Setup: SBS 2008

Client Setup: Windows 7, Outlook 2010

Email comes into an Exchange 2007 Distribution Group (3 Users are members of this distribution Group), 2 User receive this email as normal, the 3rd (Peter) doesn’t.

Checking the Exchange logs, Exchange processed this email and transferred it to all 3 Users mailboxes.

We have checked Peter's mailbox, each folder and even the Recoverable Deleted items. We have done this within Outlook 2010 and OWA. The Email isn’t there.

I did a search on his mailbox using Exchange Command Shell:
    Export-Mailbox -Identity Peter -TargetMailbox Neil -TargetFolder PeterRestoreEmail -SubjectKeywords "Website Enquiry"

I Open Outlook Web Access logging as Neil, I scroll down to the newly added Folder "PeterRestoreEmail" and there is the Unread Email within his Junk Email Folder.

Peter has placed this distributed email address within his Safe Senders List, so shouldn’t even go into the Junk Folder.

How come the email cannot be seen within his account and can only be retrieved using the above command to another user’s mailbox? It doesnt make sense.

Thanks
    Neil

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:00 AM

Answers

• Can you check the outlook rules on peters mailbox, if possible take the backup of the rule (export) and then run the outlook.exe /cleanrules switch and then import the rules back. Thanks
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:27 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 4:58 PM
  • On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:00:19 +0000, NeilLTunnah wrote:

>I'm hoping someone could explain what is happening, as I have a client who wants some answers to why it’s happening. And it seems it is only affecting 1 User throughout the company (let’s call him Peter). Server Setup: SBS 2008 Client Setup: Windows 7, Outlook 2010 Email comes into an Exchange 2007 Distribution Group (3 Users are members of this distribution Group), 2 User receive this email as normal, the 3rd (Peter) doesn’t. Checking the Exchange logs, Exchange processed this email and transferred it to all 3 Users mailboxes. We have checked Peter's mailbox, each folder and even the Recoverable Deleted items. We have done this within Outlook 2010 and OWA. The Email isn’t there. I did a search on his mailbox using Exchange Command Shell: Export-Mailbox -Identity Peter -TargetMailbox Neil -TargetFolder PeterRestoreEmail -SubjectKeywords "Website Enquiry" I Open Outlook Web Access logging as Neil, I scroll down to the newly added Folder "PeterRestoreEmail" and there is the Unread
    >Email within his Junk Email Folder. Peter has placed this distributed email address within his Safe Senders List, so shouldn’t even go into the Junk Folder. How come the email cannot be seen within his account and can only be retrieved using the above command to another user’s mailbox? It doesnt make sense. Thanks Neil

Perhaps the message isn't in any of the sub folders beneath the root?
    Check whether the messages are place directly IN the root folder.

With outlook, select the root of the mailbox, right-click it, select
    "properties" and click the "Home Page" tab. Uncheck the "show home
    page..." box.

A bad inbox rule is usually the cause of that particular anomaly.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, September 14, 2012 9:35 PM

All replies

• Can you check the outlook rules on peters mailbox, if possible take the backup of the rule (export) and then run the outlook.exe /cleanrules switch and then import the rules back. Thanks
    Friday, September 14, 2012 4:58 PM
  • On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:00:19 +0000, NeilLTunnah wrote:

>I'm hoping someone could explain what is happening, as I have a client who wants some answers to why it’s happening. And it seems it is only affecting 1 User throughout the company (let’s call him Peter). Server Setup: SBS 2008 Client Setup: Windows 7, Outlook 2010 Email comes into an Exchange 2007 Distribution Group (3 Users are members of this distribution Group), 2 User receive this email as normal, the 3rd (Peter) doesn’t. Checking the Exchange logs, Exchange processed this email and transferred it to all 3 Users mailboxes. We have checked Peter's mailbox, each folder and even the Recoverable Deleted items. We have done this within Outlook 2010 and OWA. The Email isn’t there. I did a search on his mailbox using Exchange Command Shell: Export-Mailbox -Identity Peter -TargetMailbox Neil -TargetFolder PeterRestoreEmail -SubjectKeywords "Website Enquiry" I Open Outlook Web Access logging as Neil, I scroll down to the newly added Folder "PeterRestoreEmail" and there is the Unread
    >Email within his Junk Email Folder. Peter has placed this distributed email address within his Safe Senders List, so shouldn’t even go into the Junk Folder. How come the email cannot be seen within his account and can only be retrieved using the above command to another user’s mailbox? It doesnt make sense. Thanks Neil

Perhaps the message isn't in any of the sub folders beneath the root?
    Check whether the messages are place directly IN the root folder.

With outlook, select the root of the mailbox, right-click it, select
    "properties" and click the "Home Page" tab. Uncheck the "show home
    page..." box.

A bad inbox rule is usually the cause of that particular anomaly.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:35 PM
  • amit79 & Rich Matheisen [MVP]

Thanks for commenting on my problem.

I will try and get access to his laptop today and try your methods as described.

It is an odd one, as he does get the info@ emails most of the time, its just the odd one. And like i say, the missing emails that do occur are there within his mailbox, just unable to see it.

Thanks

Neil

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:56 AM
  • On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:56:02 +0000, NeilLTunnah wrote:

>amit79 & Rich Matheisen [MVP]
    >
    >Thanks for commenting on my problem.
    >
    >I will try and get access to his laptop today and try your methods as described.
    >
    >It is an odd one, as he does get the info@ emails most of the time, its just the odd one. And like i say, the missing emails that do occur are there within his mailbox, just unable to see it.

You might want to see if he has anything special in the "views" on the
    folder.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Monday, September 17, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Yes, thank you Amit79. It seemed to be a bad rule, after running the command and waiting for a couple of weeks, the issue hasn't occurred again.

Like i mentioned the issue wasn’t all the time, hence why having to wait for the conclusion.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:08 AM