Sharepoint Not Properly Versioning Adobe Illustrator Files RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to SharePoint and I am trying to help a user who works with Adobe Illustrator files (ai) on a daily basis. Recently when she checks out, edits, and checks in an ai document the version is not updated and any previous versions are lost. What we are seeing is that when the file is checked out the version increments for example from 1.0 to 1.1, but when the file and it's edits are checked back in the version goes back to 1.0. Any and all help will be appreciated.  Permissions seem to be correct and the version settings also also seem to be correct (though I might have missed something, being new to SharePoint). This user does not have this issue when working with Microsoft Word or Excel files, they behave properly.
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

• Uninstalling and re-installing did not help BUT I have a partial solution (temporary workaround).  Unlike Microsoft documents, Adobe Illustrator files do not spawn the usual SharePoint dialogue boxes and selections. As I stated above if we SAVE the ai files the checked in file is either does not update the content that was changed or is does not increment the version. HOWEVER, if we click SAVE AS the user is prompted to decide if she wants to overwrite the existing file (and the save location is the original folder in SharePoint) when she clicks YES and then checks the file back in the correct version is displayed and the changes are correctly in the file.

It seems the ultimate solution (so that the users can simply click SAVE) is to find a way to get Adobe Illustrator to save back to the original location (in SharePoint) instead of to a temp file. AI will have to be able to do this on each document in each library. That is the next big issue. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

• Marked as answer by k3v1nr055 Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:08 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:56 PM

All replies

• For the Excel and Word files which do work ok, are they in the same location/library or are they in a different library. Version settings are configured on a per library basis, so check if it works ok for Word and Excel files in the same library. If not then compare the version settings to another library where it does work ok.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Yes the Word and Excel docs are in the the same library and indeed in the same folder.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:34 PM
  • I am more info on this issue.  When the user checks out the adobe illustrator the version number does change. If she then opens it in Illustrator and makes NO Changes, saves the file and then checks it back in the version number increment holds at the newly increased level (such as 0.2 from 0.1).

If she checks it out and then actually edits the file, saves the changes, and then checks it in, the version number reverts to 0.1.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Try uninstalling your ai and then install it back. Also check the same in other document libraries.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Uninstalling and re-installing did not help BUT I have a partial solution (temporary workaround).  Unlike Microsoft documents, Adobe Illustrator files do not spawn the usual SharePoint dialogue boxes and selections. As I stated above if we SAVE the ai files the checked in file is either does not update the content that was changed or is does not increment the version. HOWEVER, if we click SAVE AS the user is prompted to decide if she wants to overwrite the existing file (and the save location is the original folder in SharePoint) when she clicks YES and then checks the file back in the correct version is displayed and the changes are correctly in the file.

It seems the ultimate solution (so that the users can simply click SAVE) is to find a way to get Adobe Illustrator to save back to the original location (in SharePoint) instead of to a temp file. AI will have to be able to do this on each document in each library. That is the next big issue. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

• Marked as answer by k3v1nr055 Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:08 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:56 PM
  • For working with Illustrator files make use of next software http://www.illustrator.fixtoolbox.com
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 4:50 PM