none
Graphical Indicators in Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding graphical indicators to display "stoplight" symbols in status reporting. I first created a custom field (Status) to display the stoplight graphical indicators when a field is equal to certain inputs (ex: Yes, No, Maybe). I then created a “Critical Tasks” report using the REPORT feature in MS Project 2010. When I add the “Status” field to the report table, the values display as either Yes, No, or Maybe rather than as their respective graphical indicators. The fields display as graphical indicators in Gantt Chart view, but not in the report function. Is it possible to display fields as types other than text in a report?

• Edited by megan112 Friday, June 27, 2014 8:58 PM
    Friday, June 27, 2014 8:57 PM

All replies

• megan112,

I just ran a test on a Project 2010 file that have three graphical indicators, red, green and yellow. I pulled up the Critical Task report and the colored indicators all appear in Print Preview.

First of all, do you have SP2 for Project 2010 installed? If not, install it. It is also a good idea to install the June 2013 cumulative update as it was released after SP2 and contains fixes for several issues.

So you are saying that your color coded indicators appear in the custom field when you select the Gantt Chart view but only as data values when you select the Critical Tasks report and view it in Print Preview. Correct? Are you sure you have same view table selected for both the Gantt Chart view and for the Critical Tasks report?

Just for reference, Project has a built-in field called Status. Is there any chance your "status" field and the built-in Status field are getting crossed-up depending on whether you are in Gantt Chart view or Critical Tasks report? I suggest you change the name of your custom field so there is no chance for confusion.

John

Friday, June 27, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hi John and thanks for the response!

First of all, I realized something very silly that I overlooked when writing this post, which is the fact that I have MS Project 2013 rather than 2010.

Yes - you are correct in that the color coded indicators appear in Gantt Chart view but they do not appear in reporting view in the Critical Tasks report, nor do they appear in print preview. Instead, they show up as their respective "look up" values that were inputted when creating a custom field to display the graphical indicators.

I tried changing the field name to a title other than "status", but no difference was made. How do I check to see if the view table is the same one selected for the Gantt view and Critical Report view? Though I don't imagine the table selected would make a big difference since I have my custom field selected in both views.

Monday, June 30, 2014 4:35 AM
  • megan,

Okay, so do you have SP1 installed for Project 2013? If not, install it. I don't have Project 2013 so I can do a test on that version, however I'm not aware that there is any new option for turning on or off the data versus graphical indicators between view and print. And if it is a bug in Project 2013, my guess is that the issue would have surfaced by now and have been fixed by the update.

With regard to view tables. For the Gantt Chart, go to View/Data group and click on the Tables icon. The active view table will be checked. For the report, go to Project/Reports group/Report icon. Select Overview Reports and then Critical Tasks. Hit Edit. Is the Table name in the Table selection box the same as the one your saw for the Gantt Chart? If both view tables are the same, then that's not the problem. However, if they are different, you need to make them the same.

John

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:05 PM
  • Hi, Megan.

did you solve your problem with showing indicators in custom reports? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 2:48 AM