none
Can a single user be represented as multiple resources? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have a single user set up to receive the tasks of multiple resources? We have a situation where we have set up different pieces of equipment as resources.  When we assign a task to that equipment we would like those tasks to be assigned to a specific user.  That user may be responsible for multiple pieces of equipment and that responsibility may change.  We don't want to have someone worry about determining who is currently responsible - we just want them to assign the task to the equipment and the task info to be routed to the appropriate person.  Is this possible?  We have created the resources and added the users email to the email under the display name, but we are not able to get any of the tasks to pass through to that email.  Thanks.
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

as Guillaume wrote, you need to republish your project.

What you did, was changing the Default Assignment Owner. So whenever you assign a given resource, this task will show up on assignment owner's task page. So whenever you assign resourour A with Default Assignment Owner B, B will see these tasks.

When this should be different for several projects, just change the assignment owner per assignment in a project, as I described. In this way, you cab achieve that assignments to resource A for tasks 1-10 with assignment owner B, will be displayed on B's page. And Tasks 11- 10 with assignment for A but assignment Owner C will appear on C's page.

Does that make sense?
    Barbara

_______________________________________________________________________________
    To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster.
    Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by CDarrenT Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:09 AM
    Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hi CDarrenT,

After changing the assignment owner of your resource, you need to open the project plan (or all project plans containing the given resource) and PUBLISH it from Project Professionnal or PWA. Please check in the queue that the publish job has been proceeded correctly.

Then it should appear in the personal task list of the assignment owner.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

yes, that is possible. You just need to change the Assignment Owner to the resource name, who should see (and report progress for) this task. Either apply a usage view and add column Assignment Owner or double click on task and change assignment owner on tab Resources in task information dialog. Not sure about email notification, but at least this resoource will see these task on Tasks view.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please vote them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster.
    Thanks for your support!

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:28 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the reply.  If I could please ask for a little more assistance.  You mention that I need to change the Assignment Owner to the resource name.  I have done that in the Resource Center -  I chose our machine resource and under Assignment Attributes > Default Assignment Owner I selected the user resource that will be responsible for all tasks associated with this machine resource.  In Project Pro when you hover over the resource name in the gantt chart we see the associated user's name.  So it appears that the association is working.  The tasks are not however being routed to his own personal task list.  I would think that they should be, but am unsure of what could potentially cause this to not occur.  I apologize - I should have mentioned that we are using PWA/Project Pro 2013 in case this has any bearing.  Thanks

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:22 PM
  • Hi CDarrenT,

After changing the assignment owner of your resource, you need to open the project plan (or all project plans containing the given resource) and PUBLISH it from Project Professionnal or PWA. Please check in the queue that the publish job has been proceeded correctly.

Then it should appear in the personal task list of the assignment owner.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Thursday, February 6, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

as Guillaume wrote, you need to republish your project.

What you did, was changing the Default Assignment Owner. So whenever you assign a given resource, this task will show up on assignment owner's task page. So whenever you assign resourour A with Default Assignment Owner B, B will see these tasks.

When this should be different for several projects, just change the assignment owner per assignment in a project, as I described. In this way, you cab achieve that assignments to resource A for tasks 1-10 with assignment owner B, will be displayed on B's page. And Tasks 11- 10 with assignment for A but assignment Owner C will appear on C's page.

Does that make sense?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster.
    Thanks for your support!

Thursday, February 6, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Thank you to both you and Guillaume.  You both verified that how we had set up the users is correct. For some reason the tasks are not going through to the individual that we have set as the assignment operator. I have tested the exact same situation with a sample project and a tester resource and a different assignment operator and it does work in that situation.  So we will have to take a closer look at the specific user that we have designated.  Thank you to both of you.
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 12:13 AM