none
2014 SQL Server 64bit - SQL Server Service won't start. RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning ALL.

I've a 2014 SQL Server instance that wants to be a pain at the moment.

The SQL Server Service doesn't want to start at all.

Previously was working with no problems from the time it was installed and put into production just in September.

The OS is 2016 Windows Datacenter Server Edition.

The Event Logs gives me the following information

EVENT ID 7024

The SQL Server (XXXXX) Service Terminated with the following service-specific error:

The requested address is not valid in it's context.

Nothing has changed on it's setup that I know about since the time of being put into production.  The server gets normal windows updates and the SQL Server has been backed up regularly.

I've double and tripple checked the setup with nothing standing out to me and gone through all the things online that I can find to try.  Any help would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks ALL,

T Bar

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:46 PM

All replies

• Please review the SQL Server ErrorLog file for more details, it's a simple text file, you can open it in any text editor, see Viewing the SQL Server Error Log

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 12:52 PM
  • Just an update here. 

I found the issue to be something unexpected.  The problem was with the IP address being used within the SQL Server Protocols.  Basically it was using a combination of both IPV6 and IPV4 address on one of the listings.  We only use IPV4 here, so after disabling the specific address, all is now well.

SQL Server services all restarted with no issues.

I didn't have a chance to view the SQL server error log, I found my path of information from the Server Event Logs for Applications. 

Thanks for the help though!

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

I am so glad to hear that you have resolved your issue. Please mark your solution as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your contribution.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:48 AM