Exchange 2010 Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

When collecting Organizational Health for our Exchange organization, I am seeing a lot of Enterprise User Cals are required and I do not know why. Here is an output of a report that I was hoping would help, but I still cannot figure out why so many ENT User CALs are required.  I need to find and turn off the feature that is requiring the ENT User CAL.

Total Standard CALs calculated:    423
    Info Leakage Protection Enabled:   FALSE
    Unified Messaging Users calculated:         0
    Managed Custom Folder Users calculated: 0
    Advanced ActiveSync Policy Users calculated:     0
    Archived Mailbox Users calculated:               0
    Retention Policy Users calculated:               117
    Searchable Users calculated:                     435
    Journaling Users calculated:                     0
    Total Enterprise CALs calculated:                435

========================= 
    Exchange CAL Usage Report 
    ========================= 

Total Users:                                     435
    Total Standard CALs:                             435
    Total Enterprise CALs:                           435

Can someone tell which feature I have installed/enabled is requiring the use of the ENT User Cal?

Brett

Friday, April 10, 2015 7:16 PM

Answers

• here is what features require a standard versus enterprise CAL:

http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles/00-00-00-45-88-metablogapi/5415.clip_5F00_image002_5F00_08D98B70.png

http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2011/02/25/licensing-101-exchange-server-2010.aspx

Don't rely on the Health assessment built in to the EMC.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, April 10, 2015 10:11 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Except the above links, I also recommend you refer to the following article to understand CALs:

Understand Exchange 2010 licensing options

Client licensing comes in Standard and Enterprise editions, but there's a catch: You can't buy just an Enterprise client access license (CAL); if you want an enterprise feature such as unified messaging, you must first buy a Standard CAL to unlock the basic functionality, and then you add on the Enterprise CAL to add the advanced features. Microsoft calls this "additive licensing." So, in essence, you buy two CALs for each user who needs enterprise-level features.

It might sound unnecessary, but it's kind of nice because you can mix-and-match the licenses to suit your needs. For example, if you only have several users who need functionality provided by the Enterprise CAL (such as Unified Messaging), you just need to buy Enterprise CALs for those users. For all other users, you can stick with the Standard option and save a few bucks.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 13, 2015 2:37 AM

All replies

• here is what features require a standard versus enterprise CAL:

http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Blogs-Components-WeblogFiles/00-00-00-45-88-metablogapi/5415.clip_5F00_image002_5F00_08D98B70.png

http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2011/02/25/licensing-101-exchange-server-2010.aspx

Don't rely on the Health assessment built in to the EMC.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, April 10, 2015 10:11 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Except the above links, I also recommend you refer to the following article to understand CALs:

Understand Exchange 2010 licensing options

Client licensing comes in Standard and Enterprise editions, but there's a catch: You can't buy just an Enterprise client access license (CAL); if you want an enterprise feature such as unified messaging, you must first buy a Standard CAL to unlock the basic functionality, and then you add on the Enterprise CAL to add the advanced features. Microsoft calls this "additive licensing." So, in essence, you buy two CALs for each user who needs enterprise-level features.

It might sound unnecessary, but it's kind of nice because you can mix-and-match the licenses to suit your needs. For example, if you only have several users who need functionality provided by the Enterprise CAL (such as Unified Messaging), you just need to buy Enterprise CALs for those users. For all other users, you can stick with the Standard option and save a few bucks.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 13, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Thank you all who have replied - can anyone validate the following:

According to http://www.msexchange.org/kbase/ExchangeServerTips/ExchangeServer2010/ManagementAdministration/Multi-MailboxSearchLicensingUpdate.html, we no longer need Enterprise CAL for Multi-Mailbox Search, but the script still thinks that service requires an Enterprise CAL.

We removed retention polices and it helped:

Total Standard CALs calculated:    423
    Info Leakage Protection Enabled:   FALSE
    Unified Messaging Users calculated:         0
    Managed Custom Folder Users calculated: 0
    Advanced ActiveSync Policy Users calculated:     0
    Archived Mailbox Users calculated:               0
    Retention Policy Users calculated:               0
    Searchable Users calculated:                     435
    Journaling Users calculated:                     0
    Total Enterprise CALs calculated:                435

Thanks