How can I tell whether a site is using Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Search ? RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited the administration role for this site. I am looking at the description of SharePoint 2007 SP2, which I need to install. There are warnings about sites using Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Search, but I don't know whether it is being used here.

What can I check to see if it is running here?

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Go to SSp and then search administration. Check crawls are happening properly or not, check crawl logs..

carry out searches to verify the same.

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:43 PM
  • So if I understand your reply correctly, the phrase "Microsoftware Office SharePoint Server 2007 for Search" is just the name for the standard SharePoint 2007 search engine - and when I apply SharePoint 2007 SP2 that search engine no longer works, so before installing SP2 I have to install Search Server 2008.

Did I  understand you correctly?  Thank you so much.

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Hi, 

We are also using SP2 and search is working fine for us.

You need not install search server 2008.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:34 AM
  • How can one tell if they are using the 2007 or the 2008 search software? Perhaps you were already using the 2008 before you installed SP2?  I am just trying to plan all the changes that I am going to have to make to upgrade my MOSS 2007 SP1 system to MOSS 2007 SP2. The microsoft page says that if I am running the 2007 search software that I have to uninstall it to install the 2008. It also talks about needing to install WSS 3.0 SP2 first.

I feel like it is similar to one of those Russian dolls where you open up one thing and inside is another that has to be opened, and so forth...

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:05 AM